Retain Differentiated Due Dates with "Duplicate"

Idea created by Kristin Lundstrum Champion on Oct 9, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score2
    • Rob Ditto
    • Kristin Lundstrum

According to the How do I duplicate an assignment? guide:

• Copied assignments are always assigned to everyone in the course; differentiated assignments are not retained for individual users, groups, or sections.
    • If a differentiated assignment includes an Everyone Else date, the copied assignment retains the Everyone Else due date, if any.

This is really difficult for teachers who want their work to be available to a specific section and a certain time AND facilitate a similar activity on a daily basis. 

For example, a teacher teaches the same course 1st, 3rd, and 7th hours. Every day, she has a bell-ringer activity available for her students. She could assign to everyone, but she doesn't want the students in 3rd and 7th hours completing the work in other classes. The goal is to have students engaged in a short activity while she takes attendance or sets up a lab, and that purpose is defeated if they've already completed it.

Another example would be for weekly exit tickets. A teacher teaches the same course 4th and 8th hours, but he only wants students to submit within the last 10 minutes of their course hour, not earlier in the period.

I'm not sure whether or not the engineering involved would be similar to that required for the idea discussed in Is there a way to preserve section-specific due dates and assignments during course copy?, but I'm going to link it here because I recognize similar benefits.