List Number of Zeros on Student Grade Overview

(1)

K-12 students need additional support to manage their grades and work. Many students struggle with tracking different assignments and regularly checking feedback from teachers. To help support ALL students, it would be really helpful to list the number of zeros and missing assignments under the grade for each course on the overall grades. It would give students a snapshot of their grades and alert them to any issues immediately. This has been a really successful feature in other LMS programs like SchoolLoop, and it would be a really effective feature to add to Canvas. 

Where number of zeros or missing assignments could go

5 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @asmitherscordel 

Many students struggle with tracking different assignments and regularly checking feedback from teachers.

I have been teaching higher ed for 20 years, and for the last 10 have worked at a technical college where our average age is 33. Guess what? It is not just K-12 students who are challenged by this. In fact, this is a prevalent concern in any and all full or hybrid  courses, and the Quality Matters Rubric (a nationally recognized set of  course design standards) includes several standards specific to these challenges.

There are some things that you can do in Canvas to help your students, and some feature ideas that could help even more.

Existing Canvas Feature that can help:

Related Feature Ideas that you might wish to support:

There are, of course, many more feature ideas that specifically target the need to help students stay of track.

However, for me this becomes part of the teaching/learning needs of any course at any level. Canvas really does do a great job of providing students with information that can help them keep track. For example, due date are displayed in at least five different locations, and the grades report does display when there either was no submission, the submission was late, and/or the submission was scored at zero.  So it becomes our job as teachers to engage our students with using those tools for their own benefit.

I hope this is helpful, and I suspect it will be because the nature of your question tells me you are a teacher who cares.

Kelley

asmitherscordel
Community Member
Author

Thanks, Kelley, for checking out this feature idea and for your helpful suggestions! Many of those I use and promote as our site Canvas coordinator, but some of those I have not considered before, so I appreciate the new strategies. 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

@asmitherscordel 

And for the record, I support any workable idea that can make it easier for students to stay on-track!

Community Novice

Thanks @kmeeusen ! I appreciate all these suggestions, many of which we have more robustly utilized as we have been using Canvas for several years now. I think the impact I'm looking for is for students to be able to easily track their missing assignments on one page. It's a feature that would really benefit struggling students. I hope that Canvas considers this idea one day. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.