Remove prerequisites when the module it's based on is removed

(8)

Currently, when the module a prerequisite is based on is removed, the prerequisite LABEL persists on the modules with that prerequisite on them. I'm suggesting removing that label from the modules.

For example, we require students to agree to a Code of Conduct (CoC) in order to unlock the lesson modules. If we have to switch out the CoC module for a new one, the lesson modules retain the label indicating that they have the CoC as a prerequisite. However, even if we replace the CoC with a module of the exact same name, that prereq is dead. The only way to know is to go into student view and check that the modules have a lock icon. This becomes confusing when modules have more than one prereq (for example, if students also have to pass a syllabus quiz in the course information module). 

I suggest removing the prereq label (in this example, removing the CoC prereq label from the lesson modules) so instructors and designers can more easily see that the correct prereqs have been set up. Either this, or when another module of the same name has been added, then transfer the prereq to the new module (for example, if I delete one CoC module and add another with the exact same name, have the new module be the required one).

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @venitk . For good order's sake, have you already run this past Canvas Support—and if you have, would you provide the case number here?

venitk
Community Champion

I contacted support when I realized the prereqs weren't working, but Level 1 support was not able to diagnose the problem. I eventually figured it out myself and told them what had happened. They apologized for the inconvenience and closed the case. I wasn't told whether they were pursuing it further. 

Case #03866899

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks,  @venitk . We've communicated with our support team and they are going to escalate the case to take another look at it—so we'll put this idea into Moderating status for the moment as we await their review.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@venitk ‌, just following up here: Have you received an update on the reopened case?

venitk
Community Champion

No, I don't think so. 

ronmarx
Community Contributor

This seems to be a common sense function that, if it doesn't exist, I'd vote up. Awaiting status report from  @venitk ‌'s reported case.

venitk
Community Champion

Ron, I don't expect a response to my reported case, TBH. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@venitk ‌, I wanted to let you know that our teams continue to watch this ticket. It remains open, and is pending review from the Product & Engineering Team.

liamkeigher
Community Member

I like this idea as well and would like to see a warning screen come up that indicates which modules depend on the one you are deleting, if there are any.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Our engineering team has an open ticket on this case; if you're still experiencing this issue, please submit a support ticket and ask that it be associated with the existing engineering ticket.