Prevent cheating by integrating with the Safe Exam Browser

(1)

A lockdown browser helps maintain testing integrity by preventing student access to unauthorized resources during a test (e.g. googling answers).

Canvas is currently compatible with the Respondus Lockdown Browser. Unfortunately, Respondus is a commercial product, for which you have to pay licensing fees.

I strongly suggest that Canvas integrate with the Safe Exam Browser, an open source lockdown browser that is free. Details at www.safeexambrowser.org.

4 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @phillip_pinon  

There is a process for requesting partner integrations that might help. Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14907-75187841186 

I just looked over this product, and it seems that it is intended for Testing Centers, but including it in Canvas could be powerful.

Kelley

cpadavano
Community Contributor

Have them do this for Quizzes.Next since that is where they are going on the quiz system. QN doesn't even work with any proctoring tool my institution uses.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12515-quizzesnext-should-work-with-lockdown-browser-or-proctor...

scarniol
Community Novice

Safe Exam Browser does work with Canvas. Use the Javascript posted here: Locking down a quiz to require Safe Exam Browser to be used 

In the configuration file, on the Browser tab, enter the following under "User agent for desktop mode":  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0  

(This will prevent Canvas from popping up the message saying your browser isn't supported.)

314365_2019-05-31_14-53-16.jpg

Under the Network tab, you can block navigation to several areas of Canvas: 

314364_2019-05-31_14-51-29.jpg

I have not tried this with Quiz.next yet.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.