Idea created by Kevin Karplus on Jun 15, 2019
    Open for Voting
    Score5
    • Mikael Fridenfalk
    • Carl Hallberg
    • Simon Weir
    • Rob Ditto
    • Ken Matthias

Some of my students submit PDF files that are too large to be graded in SpeedGrader, and several submit files that are barely gradable (a couple of minutes sometimes for "SpeedGrader" to download and render them).  I have had students submit PDF files that are twice the size of the entire textbook for the course (due to incompetence at including pictures), and that could not be viewed in "SpeedGrader" at all.

I would like to be able to set two limits for file submission:

• a "soft limit" that produces a warning if the students exceed it (like the warnings for late submissions)
    • a "hard limit" that refuses to accept the file if it is too big.

These limits should default to something reasonable that SpeedGrader can handle (say 2MB and 5MB), but be settable at the assignment level (with course-wide defaults). There probably need to be different defaults for different file types (larger for videos, for example).

The assignment summaries that students see should show both hard and soft limits.

The mechanism could also be used for instructors who want to allow extremely large submissions (such as long-form videos).