- Test - 50%
- Homework - 30%
- Attendance - 10%
- Participation - 10%
- Extra Credit - 3%
The 3% Extra Credit would make the total 103%. Canvas allows you to create group weights that equal more than 100%. However, if we setup an Extra Credit Assignment within the "Extra Credit" Group it must be worth more than 0 points. If I give more than 0 points it will negatively impact students scores - if they only get a 2/5 or a 5/10 on the extra credit assignment they overall score will be docked.
A workaround is to create an Extra Credit assignment within a Group (an "out of zero" assignment). However this is a mathematical mess:
For example, solve this word problem:
- There are 150 points in the Assignments Group
- The Assignment Group is worth 40% of the total grade
- You would like to create an Extra Credit assignment that adds 3% to the total percentage score of the Assignments Group
- The student currently has 140/150 points, or a 93.33%
The solution to allow, when a Group is created, the opportunity to make that Group "bonus" or "extra credit." Alternatively, you could also all 0 points assignments to be created in an Extra Credit group although I assume there is a reason why this is not allowed now.
This idea was considered when developing our product plan for Q1 2019 and is not expected to influence development within Canvas at this time.
- This idea will remain open for vote.
- If this idea is in the top 10% by vote next cycle it will be reconsidered.
Read more about the feature idea process: