Reverse Quizzes

Idea created by David Thornton on Sep 1, 2019
    Open for Voting
    Score2
    • Rob Ditto
    • David Thornton

Hello all,

Currently my school uses an external system (explained below) to grade and track students lab/clinical performance. This is time consuming and awkward for students and staff to navigate. I've been trying to figure out a simple way to make clinical assessments and/or lab assessments accessible and able to be completed in Canvas and have finally came up with what I think is a simple but functional idea. That being a reverse quiz (the name still needs work). This would be a quiz that the staff or instructors for the course would create and instructors would fill out weekly on their students. Then students could see the quiz but would not be able to change it. 

The majority of the coding for this is already in canvas for the quiz application the role of the editor and the viewer would simply have to be reversed in some instances. For example: For my clinical assessments each week I would use the following quiz set up and duplicate it for each week the student was in clinical. 

Example 

Quiz name: Week 1 Clinical Assessment or Evaluation

Grading type: (Satisfactory or unsatisfactory)

Questions:

1. Was the student absent  (Yes or No) -Question type multiple choice.

2. Did the Student come to clinical prepared (Yes or No) - Question type multiple choice

2. Patient diagnosis/s -Question type fill in the blank

3. Patient centered care - Question type essay

4. Team work and collaboration - Question type essay

5. Evidence based practice - Question type essay

6. Quality and safety - Question type essay

7. Informatics - Question type essay

8. Patient centered care (Satisfactory, Needs Improvement, Unsatisfactory, Absent, Observation)- Question type    multiple choice 

9. Team work and collaboration (Satisfactory, Needs Improvement, Unsatisfactory, Absent, Observation)- Question type multiple choice 

10. Evidence based practice (Satisfactory, Needs Improvement, Unsatisfactory, Absent, Observation)- Question type multiple choice 

11. Quality and safety (Satisfactory, Needs Improvement, Unsatisfactory, Absent, Observation) - Question type multiple choice 

12 In the course the student is currently (Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory) Question type multiple choice.

This could simply be assigned to all faculty then my clinical instructors would then log in each week and complete these reverse quizzes on each of their students. I included a sample of the charting we currently use for this below and you can see this idea would completely and perfectly replace it. Then students could view the assessment at anytime. Even if it was partially completed. A reverse quiz could cover multiple weeks; or multiple reverse quizzes could be created so that one would cover each week a student is in clinical or lab. 

Currently to complete our clinical evals we use google docs (because it is free) and it allows us to embed access links in to canvas and email for our students. This is an ok system but it requires me to duplicate a form and rename it 100+ times each semester, then mail the students links with read only privileges to that google doc. Additionally I have to send separate links to a google doc for students to acknowledge that they have seen their weekly evals. This means again copying and renaming a form 100+ times then mailing links to students with read and write privileges for that document. Additionally at the end of the semester we combine the two docs, download them, and then save then on an external drive in case of an audit. Again time consuming and awkward. 

I know most nursing schools are dealing with a similar problem and many have began using costly external canvas plugins, using Google docs, word docs in combo with the cloud, or other programs. This tool would eliminate this need. Later the ability for a student to acknowledge they have viewed their weekly eval/assessment could be developed if necessary.

The benefits I believe are as follows:

1. This would make canvas a more effective and all-round better option for many programs with clinical or lab components.

2. It would streamline where the student accessed data about their performance.

3. If would provided a simple form that is easily accessible for each students.

4. Programs would not have to worry about storing some grading data externally.

5. It means reduced costs to the school and student as it eliminates the need for may secondary plugins or programs.

6. It allows students and instructors the ability to complete and view every aspect of a programs with lab requirements and grades from canvas.

7. Its incredibly flexible and would lend itself to countless other applications.

8. This would save enormous amounts of time since professors would not have to copy and give access to multiple documents to each student.

Sample of my school's current documentation for Nursing Clinical evaluations which are stored in google docs.

Week 5

Absence 

If absent list an A or the number of hours missed. ->

N

Patient diagnosis

Cholecystitis

Date

2/12

Student arrived to clinical prepared

*Arrived on time, with required equipment, assignments completed, and followed college's dress code.  

(Yes or No) →

Yes

Instructor’s Anecdotals

Patient Centered Care

Completed a thorough head to toe assessment while focusing on the patient's problem areas.

Teamwork and Collaboration:

Conveyed important information to their primary nurse and instructor promptly.

Evidence based Practice:

Administered a subQ injection in one of the the proper sites listed in the drug reference after stating landmarks.

Quality & Safety:

Contributed meaningful conversation and insight in pre-conference.

Informatics:

Checked to ensure order parameters were met before administering hypotension and anti-arrhythmic medications.

Student Performance

Students should have an S, NI, U, or A in each box for each week. S= Satisfactory= Needs Improvement, U= Unsatisfactory, A = Absent. Students may also have an MOC = Manager of Care (S/NI/U), OR = Orientation (S/NI/U), or OB = Observation beside the S, NI, U, or A.

WK 1     

WK 2

WK 3

WK 4

WK 5

WK 6

WK 7

WK 8

WK 9

Wk 10

Patient Centered Care

S, OR

U

S

S

S

S, OR

S

S

S

Teamwork & Collaboration

S, OR

S

S

NI

S

S

S, OR

S

S

S

Evidence Based Practice

S, OR

S

S

NI

S

U

S, OR

S

S

S

Quality & Safety

S, OR

S

S

S

S

S

S, OR

S

S

S

Informatics

S, OR

S

S

S

S

S

S, OR

S

S

S

I'm not sure if this is possible and I know the developers are busy with multiple projects but I would appreciate this being considered.

Thank you,

David "Justin" Thornton