Large file sharing privately... in auto-named groups?

Idea created by Heidi Oberstadt on Sep 26, 2019
    Open for Voting
    Score2
    • Rob Ditto
    • Heidi Oberstadt

I teach public speaking, though I'm sure that there are other classes where this option would come in handy. I have video files of my students presenting, and I'd like to send the videos to them individually. The files are too large for email, and it might be possible to use Google Drive, but I'd like to use Canvas to keep everything in one place, for the sake of my students. I also want to send them privately, so they don't have to worry about any of their peers doing anything unsavory with their videos.

Sending them individual messages in inbox may work, but it would be very time-consuming, and I believe that attaching files in inbox doesn't work well if they're over 500 MB.

As of right now, I am creating groups with one student in each group, and renaming the groups to each student's name. I can add the files in the groups, and I will be able to re-use those groups throughout the course of the semester with each speech.

Is there any way that we can get a group option to create groups with one student in each group and have them automatically named after the student? This would be awesome!