Score7
    • Christopher Connors
    • korina_figueroa@emerson.edu
    • Rob Ditto
    • Illona Yukhayev
    • Jennifer Stevens
    • Natalie Hebshie
    • Adam Engel

I'm requesting revision of the language in the "Post Grades tray" that appears after instructors click "Post Grades" from either the gradebook or Speedgrader. I wrote this in the Post Policy Updates thread as well, but I'm afraid of it getting lost there.

After clicking “Post Grades,” instructors are now prompted to choose if this is for “Everyone” or “Graded.” There are two major problems here:

• The language “Grades will be visible to all students” scares the crap out of faculty. To them, it sounds like students will be able to see each other's grades. I know that Canvas would never do this, but our faculty don't know that! I've given several Canvas trainings since we implemented the New Gradebook where instructors were so spooked by this language that they decided to abandon manually posting grades altogether, even after I explained what the options actually meant.

• In addition, the current explanatory language—for "Everyone," "Grades will be visible to all students," and for "Graded," Grades will be made visible to students with graded submissions"—doesn't at all clearly describe what these options actually do. It took me (a technologist) forever to figure out that the only distinction being made here is whether students who haven't yet submitted see an icon indicating that grading is in progress. This is a level of granularity most faculty don't want or need.

Ideally, I'd love an option to give this tray a default setting and then hide it altogether, rather than forcing faculty to make a choice most don't want. But failing that, can this language please be clarified to alleviate panic and also to explain more explicitly what these options do?

Here's how I would rewrite these options:

• Everyone: "All students with graded submissions will be able to see their personal grades. Students with ungraded submissions will see a note indicating that grading is in progress. All students will receive a notification."
    •   
    • Graded: "All students with graded submissions will be able to see their personal grades. Students with ungraded submissions will see a "hidden" icon for this assignment on their grades page. Only students with graded submissions will receive a notification."

TLDR: Please clarify the "Everywhere" vs. "Graded" language. It is unnecessarily scary and doesn't clearly convey its functions.