New Quizzes: Enabling a scratch work space next to the exam question

Some exam questions are too long to fit in the screen with a scratch work space on top or bottom of that question. So the students have to scroll up and down all the time to work on the question. This wastes so much time and creates anxiety. It would be nice if Canvas can enable a "floating scratch work space" next to the question box.

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @sguler6 ‌, we've modified the title of the idea description so that it specifies "New Quizzes." When you have a moment, would you please update the screenshot to reflect how this might display to students in a New Quiz assessment? How do I take an assessment in New Quizzes?‌ might provide a good starting point.

Thanks.

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

Thanks Stefanie. I updated the image. Hope it works. Thanks again.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sguler6 , the UI that displays on the screenshot still appears to be taken from Classic (Old) Quizzes. For example, the timer in New Quizzes always displays at the top of the page, as depicted in the View Assessment section of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15032-4212780623  Perhaps you could copy and mark up the screenshot in that section?

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

I took my exam 2 days ago at GT, and the exam timer wasn't floating and visible to be seen all the time. I am not aware of the new UI which shows the exam timer all the time. I created this image as my proposition to show a "floating scratch work space" and a "floating exam timer". 

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

Hi Stefanie,

My instructor says that "new quizzes won't work (and change the title to "old quizzes") - it appears third party systems (including Proctortrack) are not compatible with new quizzes so we are stuck on "old quizzes" until that changes."

So could you change this Canvas Idea's category to "old quizzes" from "new quizzes"?

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sguler6 ‌, we are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old Quizzes, and now that the title of the idea has been modified to focus on Old Quizzes, we've archived the idea. When your school starts using New Quizzes and you've had a chance to evaluate the assessment-taking experience with the new tool, we hope you'll come back with your ideas for improvement.

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sguler6 ‌, we see you've modified the idea title once again, back to "New Quizzes." Ideally, we'd like people who have experience using the new tool to write the ideas after they've had a chance to see it in action. That said, in order for this idea to move forward, would you please update the screenshot to reflect the UI for New Quizzes, and edit the idea description to remove the reference to the "floating timer" which is a feature that already exists in New Quizzes? Thanks.

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

Stefanie,

Your "New Quizzes" does NOT support Proctortrack! So then it's not right for you to decide archiving the idea. Instead you might have said "I converted it to New Quizzes again because we'll also bring the Proctortrack support to the New Quizzes as well as considering this floating scratch work space feature." I recommend you to review how to treat your customers and take their ideas seriously. Georgia Tech is no small customer, don't you think? Please do not achieve the idea! Thanks.

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

Done. Please do NOT archive any idea without consulting me, the customer. Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sguler6 , we do not have any information to share about support for Proctortrack to New Quizzes, as this idea has not yet been shared to the Ideas forum by any of our members. If the addition of a Proctortrack integration to New Quizzes is something that your school would like to see, please ask the local Canvas admin to bring this to the attention of the school's CSM and ask them to create a new feature idea requesting that specific third-party integration.

Turning to the idea itself, the description currently contains two separate requests for enhancements, one of which (the timer) already exists in New Quizzes. How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?‌ provides guidance on writing singularly-focused ideas. Would you please edit the idea as requested? We can then move it forward for consideration by our members.

Thanks.

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

I already updated the Idea. I guess you haven't seen it yet. I shared this link with my classmates yesterday, and it started receiving votes. And you guys just shooting down and arching the idea. It's not right. 

And yes, I will definitely "ask the local Canvas admin to bring this to the attention of the school's CSM and ask them to create a new feature idea requesting that specific third-party integration". I might even email your CEO about this issue. Thank you.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sguler6 , this is the screenshot in the idea description; it still reflects the Old Quizzes interface. As you'll see in How do I take an assessment in New Quizzes? , the interface in New Quizzes differs significantly from this. For our members to be able to evaluate an idea effectively, the screenshot and description need to reflect existing design and current functionality.340433_old quiz screenshot.png

You are correct that we moved the idea into Moderating status after votes started accruing because the title had been modified to "Old Quizzes" after we opened it for voting; as we are no longer developing functionality on that old code base we are not entertaining ideas for enhancements to the old tool.

We are glad that you will be pursuing additional avenues for feedback and look forward to seeing the idea for a Proctortrack integration from your school's local Canvas admin. 

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

I just emailed the office of College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology about this issue.

We do NOT use the New Quizzes at Georgia Tech because you have NO support for Proctortrack. So I created a "proposition" screen image based on what I see everyday on my screen. It is not even my duty to create such screen image. If you like, I can remove the screen image. It does not matter as long as you understand what I mean from the text I wrote in the Idea.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes, if you prefer not to create an image presenting a prototype of how the feature would display to students in a New Quiz assessment, please remove the screenshot altogether along with the reference in the description to the "floating timer"; that would be great,  @sguler6 ! We can move the idea forward as a singular request for a floating "scratch work space" in New Quizzes.

sguler6
Community Novice
Author

I already removed the "floating timer". I guess you haven't checked it for a while.

Ok, I am removing the screenshot as well.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for making the requested modifications,  @sguler6 . The idea is once again open for voting as a request for an enhancement to New Quizzes.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.