self sign-up one person group size

(3)

As of right now when implementing the standard group feature into an assignment a group has to consist of at least two members. This problem could arise with an uneven number of students in the class or a student joining the class later in the semester and they have to choose one group which have a specific topic. The solution to this problem is fairly simple: Make groups within assignments in Canvas be able to consist of only one member if desired.

We would use the one-man group to do projects, bachelor thesis or master thesis, assignments you have to do at home, for DOI with scientific studies or just for one person presentation where every student gets his own topic. In all this examples we would use the self sign-up option.

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @lukas_roethe ‌, here's how to create one-person groups:

• Enable the "Split students into [X] equal groups" radio button
  • Enter a number that is greater than the number of students in your course.
  • n.b. This will give you the option to add additional students to their own one-person groups should additional students enroll after the initial group creation process.
  • You can see a demonstration of this in Canvas FastTrack Ep. 30 - Let's Start a Journal 

Because this is already existing functionality in Canvas, we've archived the idea.

lukas_roethe
Community Explorer

Hey that is a great first step which no one mentioned befor, but what should I do when the groups are fix like different subjects of presentation and every student should choose one of them. I want do do the selection process in canvas. I want to allow self sing-up.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lukas_roethe , single-student groups are created by the instructor and the one-person limitation is not available in groups that are set to allow self signup. Since your request is specific to self-signup groups, would you please modify the idea to reflect that?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for making the requested edit,  @lukas_roethe . The idea is now open for voting.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted! Fantastic idea,  @lukas_roethe  Business and professional schools would make use of this option to facilitate certain assignment formats used along with topic-based signup.

nvanderveen
Community Member

I love this idea, could really use it!

I voted, and hope it will be picked up soon

rebekka
Community Participant
Problem statement:

This is not in it self an original idea but I will elaborate on the problem in the hope it will move forward. Canvas does not allow for assignment groups of maximum one member. There are multiple use cases for a student group of one. Multiple teachers in my (and other) institution have asked for a solution to students signing up for specific thesis/other assignment. It should be obvious that you could create a group set with self sign up and manually create groups of maximum one so that only one student can sign up for each group. From @lukas_roethe This problem could arise with an uneven number of students in the class or a student joining the class later in the semester and they have to choose one group which have a specific topic. - As a teacher you might want to allow students to work in a group of one or two students. Canvas allows neither.

Proposed solution:

It seems like the solution is simple, allow teachers to create group sets with maximum one student per group with self sign-up

User role(s):

instructor

hrannar
Community Member

This is highly important! - I have found problems with this when I assign individual assignments to students where they can choose, only on student per assignment/paper topic, and i don't want more students to choose the same subject. E.g. if I have 5 students to work on a paper, and each can only choose one subject, I have to let them "edit a page" to put their name to an assignment when only one can choose each one. 

If group assignments could be assigned to 1 person, I could make a list, for let's say 80 students, with the numbers running on a single page, but they could assign themselves to the assignment as a "group" assignment, where the max number would be 1 !!! - In that way, the "firtst come, first served"-rule would be satisfied.

I do not believe this would be such a big change in the program, but it would make a huge difference for us, the teachers.

Please apply!

Regards,

hh.

rebekka
Community Participant

@RobDitto and @nvanderveen already voted for the previous idea, so maybe you'll vote for this one also?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.