Photos in cards on the dashboard

(5)

A few of my professors put a photo in the card that is visible on my dashboard. As a student, I am not allowed to choose if I want that particular picture on my dashboard. This is bothersome because having one or two (very grainy) pictures disrupts the uniformity that many students like to have. It would be great if there was an option to remove or "turn off" the picture that my instructor put on the card in the same menu used to change the nickname and color of the cards. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @perryman  and  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Thanks for sharing this idea; it's open for voting.

You might also be interested in supporting a related idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15551-add-image-to-canvas-cards-in-dashboard (Ed. note: that idea is now archived and no longer visible). While that student is requesting the ability to add images to their course cards, theoretically that functionality, if implemented, would allow a student to upload a blank, or a less-distracting image, or a set of matching images of their choice.

mollyrae06
Community Member

MeganMcGeough
Community Novice

I completely agree. I hate when only one or two classes have a random picture I cannot remove. You can't even really see the color you choose, and it doesn't look organized. Keeping my dash organized helps me a lot with my course load, and distracting images out of my control just doesn't contribute to that.  

KaritsaPatel
Community Novice

I agree I like to have all of mine in a nice color scheme, but the random pictures really mess with that.

Greenetea
Community Member

I agree, this feature should be added for students to turn off tacky images that the Professors upload. I would rather have the option to choose a blank card or my own image.

AvaBerkey
Community Member

I feel like this is a simple feature that should have been available 2 years ago when it was suggested. I like having color schemes for my classes and the photos just make my dashboard look bad. I think that this would be a great thing to be implemented.

Greenetea
Community Member

I agree with Ava. It's simple but I guess this feature is not important enough for them to work on it right away. I like having color schemes, as well. The photos mess with my OCD.

KWargo
Community Member

I agree completely. This feature would greatly improve my experience on Canvas. I wish all my classes appeared as uniform solid colors. I love the ability to change the color of each class, but I hate how the "color overlay" looks. It distorts the selected color completely, and ruins the aesthetic. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.