Gradebook Column Ordering

The home page of my Canvas containers always have a reverse chronology listing of Modules, which I've found to be the most effective way to organize my courses. A related annoyance, however, is that when I drag a Module to the top of the home page and publish it, its column in the ("New") Gradebook usually appears as the last one to the right, even after the Total columns. I must then laboriously drag it to the left via multiple click-scroll steps - past many "zombie columns" for unpublished assessments - until adjacent the last published assessment.

This FI proposes that, if the Hide Grade Columns for Teacher Gradebook idea is not immediately developed and made universal - or, more likely, is implemented as an option - that Gradebook behavior be modified so that newly published assessments always auto-position to the left of all columns for unpublished assessments and immediately right of the last published assessment.

It's rather strange that the "Hide Grade Columns" idea was posted nearly 5 years ago, has over 400 votes and makes obvious sense yet hasn't been implemented. It would make tedious scrolling thru columns for unpublished assessments needless. Given that some instructors may want to see columns for unpublished items - the ability to hide or show unpublished assessment columns thus made optional - I propose this "Gradebook Column Ordering" idea 

still be implemented (for when unpublished assessments show). The only situation in which this FI would no longer apply is if the "Hide Grade Columns for Teacher Gradebook" idea is implemented near-term on a non-optional basis. 

2 Comments
kdickso
Community Participant

I think that this is a great idea. Also, thank you,  @james_wallerste , for adding the term "zombie columns" to my vocabulary. It is a great description!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.