Edit posted comments in Grade book

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
Occasionally, I have  the need to add comments at different times for a grade in the grade book.  Or sometimes I have entered a wrong comment for a student.  There is no way to edit a comment once it is posted to the gradebook.  I would like to have the capability of editing a comment so that I can add to an existing comment or remove information that is no longer needed.
6 Comments
ndcruz
Community Explorer

The previous LMS I used had this feature, but Canvas does not. I think it is because the comment is simultaneously emailed to the student.

My work around is to write and edit grade book comments outside of Canvas. Then I submit them to Canvas. That cuts down on the need to edit an existing comment. If I do need to add/modify the comment, I submit another comment explaining the modification. (Having the comments created outside of Canvas automatically provides me with an archive that I can cut and paste from in the future.)

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I agree, this feature would be nice! I have deleted/replaced many comments while grading. At least we can copy/paste to a new comment to edit, then delete the original comment. (An ability that works best when the grades are muted.)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

77296_pastedImage_0.png95735_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed