New Quizzes: Quiz Notifications for auto-graded quizzes

(20)

It would be GREAT to have a way to get notifications that a student has completed a quiz in the instructor's "To Do" list. 

I have students completing quizzes for optional extra credit throughout the term and I don't want to have to wade through the quiz results every day to see if someone else has decided to do the quiz. 

16 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@julienicolejohn , as documented in the View Sidebar Sections section of How do I use the Course Home Page as an instructor? , the To-Do list shows all items that require grading in Canvas. Are you looking for functionality that populates the To-Do list with entries for all auto-graded quizzes, i.e. assessments that do not require grading?

Thanks.

julienicolejohn
Community Novice

Yes, I love that the quiz feature grades for me, I just want to be notified

when someone takes the quiz.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:42 AM Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for providing that clarification,  @julienicolejohn ‌. We've modified the title slightly to reflect that and to align the terminology with New Quizzes, and have opened it for voting.

julienicolejohn
Community Novice

fantastic. Thank you. Can I vote for it?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 1:18 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Julie, you and anyone else who is logged into the Canvas Community can vote for it!

julienicolejohn
Community Novice

Nice. Thank you!

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 1:36 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

julienicolejohn
Community Novice

How many votes does an idea need to get to make it happen?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 1:37 PM Julie Johnson <julie.johnson@ascentutah.org>

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@julienicolejohn ‌, the publicly-visible Ideas forum is one of several factors that guide development decisions, so vote totals are not the only determinant. Please read through What is the feature development process for Canvas? to learn more.

angelah
Community Explorer

This would be a fabulous addition; however, I notice that with New Quizzes, even if a quiz needs to be manually graded, it does not show up in the To-Do list either. For example, if a New Quiz is ONLY an essay question, or includes an essay question, we must still wade through each quiz individually in order to find those that need graded. (The student's submitted quiz itself will have a notice at the top that says "Question X needs to be graded." No way of knowing that until you are actually IN the submitted quiz though.

raehale
Community Explorer

Hello!

We are asking for the same thing on this page:

New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Dashboard-To-Do/idi-p/373847

deborah_spencer
Community Member

This is an issue for me as well. 

jeffaharris
Community Explorer

This is a highly desired feature!

ClaireHurt24
Community Novice

If a quiz is completed composed of multiple choice/ T or F questions, Canvas can self grade which in turn, does not give the teacher a notification of a quiz being submitted. With students taking at different paces, I am constantly going back through each class to look for updated grades to ensure those grades are making it into our gradebook. If I received a notification that a new quiz has been submitted, even though it doesn't need grading from me, this would be extremely helpful. 

eokes
Community Novice

This is a real problem for any quiz that has a short answer, essay, or dropbox question.  The computer-generated scores are automatically applied to the grade book with no notifications to remind us that a portion of the test needs to be graded.

That means if a quiz is ONLY an essay question, a zero will be applied to the grade book.

Additionally, if you have a student who took the test late or at a different time, it may automatically apply late points that they aren't supposed to have.  However, the teacher will not be reminded to take the late points off.

If students take a test more than once, the teacher will not be reminded to grade the short answer on the new version.

This is a burden on the teacher (and a stressor on the students) that could be easily fixed since the feature was a default for Classic Quizzes.  Yet, as I understand it, our Classic Quizzes will be migrated to New Quizzes automatically by summer 2022.  Customer support told me they did not plan to offer this feature unless it gathered enough attention and votes in the forums.  They did not explain why the feature would not be available anymore.

(This link is basically the same problem and has gotten more votes so far.  I recommend you vote for both of these topics.
melissa_sheets
Community Member

I agree with Okes.  She is correct.

This is a real problem for any quiz that has a short answer, essay, or dropbox question.  The computer-generated scores are automatically applied to the grade book with no notifications to remind us that a portion of the test needs to be graded.

That means if a quiz is ONLY an essay question, a zero will be applied to the grade book.

Additionally, if you have a student who took the test late or at a different time, it may automatically apply late points that they aren't supposed to have.  However, the teacher will not be reminded to take the late points off.

If students take a test more than once, the teacher will not be reminded to grade the short answer on the new version.

This is a burden on the teacher (and a stressor on the students) that could be easily fixed since the feature was a default for Classic Quizzes.  Yet, as I understand it, our Classic Quizzes will be migrated to New Quizzes automatically by summer 2022.  Customer support told me they did not plan to offer this feature unless it gathered enough attention and votes in the forums.  They did not explain why the feature would not be available anymore.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!