Option to show deactivated student's submission in SpeedGrader when assignment is anonymous

Hi,

It would be helpful if there was an option to show a deactivated student's submissions in SpeedGrader when the assignment is set as anonymous. The option is available in grades for non-anonymous submissions, but not currently for anonymous assignments. 

We deactivate students to stop them having access to a course when they go on leave of absence (LOA). However if the student made a submission before they left, we would like their work to still show in SpeedGrader. Currently anonymous submissions from a deactivated student do not show for the marker, so the student misses an opportunity for their work to be marked. We would like the work to be marked, so the result is ready for them on their return. 

Thanks,

Jonathan Ayto

University of York

6 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, ja505. I was just reviewing How do I view grades for inactive or concluded student enrollments in the Gradebook? and it sounds like if you use this option the submissions will appear in SpeedGrader. Can you give that a shot and let me know how it goes?

ja505
Community Participant

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing the guide. That helps solve our problem for non-anonymous submissions. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to solve the problem for anonymous submissions, as inactive students still don't show in SpeedGrader when anonymity is applied. We have an anonymous grading policy at York, so it would be helpful if inactive students still showed in SpeedGrader, without them being flagged as inactive so as to not brake anonymity.

Thanks

Jonathan

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey, ja505. I was able to confirm what you described (submissions from deactivated enrollments don't appear if using anonymous grading). Please modify the idea description (click "Edit" in the top right of the page) to describe that nuance and we can move this idea forward for voting. Thanks!

ja505
Community Participant

Hi Adam,

I've edited the idea. I hope that sounds OK?

Thanks

Jonathan

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Perfect! Thank you!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.