Course Tile Overall Course Grade

(10)

I've noticed in the app it is super easy to see your grade for every single course you're enrolled in at a glance. On the dashboard, all of the course tiles are laid out and their overall grades are easily readable in the upper left hand corner.

In the web UI, it requires more effort to click through the courses and find the grades page. It is even harder when the instructor has not made the grades page visible. I have yet to find out how to see my overall grade or a layout of all graded assignments on a course where the teacher has hidden the grades tab.

It would be awesome if the Canvas Dev Team could have the overall course grade show in the top left hand corner of the course tile like in the app. Maybe even make this an option so people who don't want to see it can remove it. 

21 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @cander92  Welcome to the Canvas Community! We've opened this idea for voting.

As it moves through the evaluation process, please know that students can view their grades directly from the dashboard by clicking on the View Grades button that displays near the bottom of the right sidebar: How do I view grades in the Dashboard as a student? However, if your instructor has chosen to hide grade totals, that setting will override what displays—and that is the case in the mobile app as well.

______
Community Novice

It is more convenient to view from the dashboard instead of going to another page. You could make it optional. 

jj77
Community Novice

Agreed, finding grade totals shouldn't be so hard! Glad to know where to find them now  but why not have that button over on the left with all the other tabs? Why do we need to scroll through all the to do and finished items to find the grades button. I'm a mom trying to help her kids out (autistic kid no less) and having to search for it and only finding it by coming here takes a lot of time. It just doesn't make sense where it is located. 

cmm11
Community Member

I would like there to be a grade overlay on the dashboard for each class when looking at the dashboard in card view on the web. This feature is currently available on the Canvas mobile app (when toggling "Show Grades"), but why not desktop as well? Please allow users to toggle this feature on/off for on the web as well, or preferably, show this info by default. 

Egandritz
Community Member

On the Canvas mobile app when on you are on the dashboard in card view you have the option to overlay your current grade in each class. This is a feature that I find very useful, I am able to quickly see my grades from the homepage and check to make sure nothing is missing that would drop my grade. However there is no way to overlay grades on the web browser version of Canvas.

MattMeyer
Community Novice

Allow grades to be shown on the dashboard of the browser version like is available in the app version

cmm11
Community Member

Please allow this; clicking through to a separate page is very annoying

OmMehta
Community Novice

On the Canvas mobile app, we can see our grades for each class on the corner of each class in dashboard; this feature should be added on the website when looking from a computer.

CharlotteHubbar
Community Novice

I am a student.

I believe students would have a better idea of where they stand in their courses if they had the option to view their grade, and the percentage they have, in each course on the main dashboard. It is available on Canvas mobile but not on the web browser.

doneng
Community Explorer

I would also point out that the current "View Grades" screen on the web interface only shows percentages, not the letter grade that those percentages equate to based on the course grading scheme.

This is a huge problem for our high schools where some teachers use a traditional 90%, 80%, 70% grading scheme and some use standards based grading. So 50% in one class would be an F and 50% in another class would be a C.

Displaying the letter grade on the web interface, both on the class tiles and on the "view grades" screen would avoid this issue/confusion and bring the web interface into feature parity with the app interface.

BeckyBeeler
Community Novice

PLEASE find a way to display the letter grade next to the percentage for the web interface on both the course tile and on the "view grades" tab.  For teachers who do not use traditional grading systems, the inability of Canvas to include the letter grade next to the percentage is a huge disservice to teachers, students, and parents.  A four-point scale does not play nicely with percentages. A 3 out of 4 (a "B") is still a 75%, so the grade they see should coincide with our custom grade scheme: it should say "75% B."

SJord
Community Novice

The mobile app version of Canvas allows users to turn grades on or off of the Dashboard view screen on canvas.  Unfortunately the desktop mode does not offer the same function.  As a student who typically uses a desktop computer when working on assignments through Canvas, I would love to see this feature added on the desktop mode to easily view my grades along with the course nicknames (as I am further in my degree the course codes are very similar, so it's more difficult to keep track when I click the view grades button in desktop mode).

TWray1
Community Novice

The grade you have in each of your classes show be shown on your computer, and not only on your mobile device.

LQ1
Community Member

I am a medical student using Canvas through my school. I think that there should be a setting option where students can decide whether or not they would like grades displayed on the homepage, or if they would rather go to the individual class page to see their grades. 

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@LQ1 @TWray1 @SJord @CharlotteHubbar @OmMehta @cmm11 @MattMeyer @Egandritz @jj77 

there is an extension for chrome that does what it looks like on the iphone canvas app.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/canvas-dashboard-grades/jnlnibjgafmamocabdhidiaajkdphkpe

So if you don't mind putting an extension into chrome (if you use chrome), then the above will do it - of course you still don't get a letter grade with it.

DavidGoldsmith
Community Member

+1

cgj
Community Novice

when I view canvas on my phone it shows each class with my current percentage grade, which is convenient. it would be nice to have that same feature integrated with the computer-based platform.

TrishaHunter
Community Novice

When students look at their grades on their phone they get a percentage on their home page for each class.  Can we also have the percentage appear on the home screen when they work through their chromebooks? 

JRandall0706
Community Member

It would be convenient for the desktop version of canvas to have the option for grades to be visible from the dashboard (card view) similar to the way it is available on the mobile app. 

LeoRT
Community Member

Having a quick glance at my grades with "show grades" as student really helps in the mobile application, right beside the color overlay in the options section through the "burger" menu (three bars, top left). Having looked near its desktop equivalent, there was no option to show grades. Personally, I think it might just be a small oversight to not include it or it may just be in a different spot.

Key sentence: "Show grades" option for student desktop, if it is not there already