[SpeedGrader] Pop-out rubric into its own window from SpeedGrader

Using a rubric to grade in Canvas can be an exercise in frustration. Even the official documentation (How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader?) starts by having you resize the parts of the screen, which leads to the submission being too small, or the rubric being too small and the grader needing to scroll.

This idea is to have the View Rubric button optionally allow the the rubric to be popped out into a new window that can be used alongside SpeedGrader's other tools while grading.

Alternatively, Canvas already supports in-page "window like" panels that can be moved around, resized, and interacted with while being part of the page you're on (example: Configure External Tool as part of assignment creation). This could be an alternative to a full pop-out window.

Added to Theme

13 Comments
dricci
Community Novice

When correcting a paper in SpeedGrader with the rubric opened, the window divides into two panels: the paper is to the left and the rubric to the right. Canvas would be improved if the teacher could operate the size of the rubric without affecting the size of the paper. In other words, allow each panel size to be manipulated independently. I continuously have to toggle back and forth to see both panels fully, or I have to move the gray bar at the bottom of the rubric to see all of it. This issue is not due to my screen size as I have a large monitor. I hope I was clear enough for you to get the picture. Thank you.

On July 13, I placed this comment here to help coordinate efforts to somehow fix the paper-correcting-view limitations Canvas presently offers.

jtoy1
Community Explorer

Seconded--this is a significant accessibility issue!

reichard
Community Explorer

This would be a highly effective solution to something that bothered me for years. I frequently have to resize the divider as I have to zoom in to student work. The annotation options are "jumpy" and thus are always competing with screen real estate. For people like me, who work on multiple screens, this option would allow me to move the grading rubric to a separate window and work side by side much more effectively.

Please consider this feature - you will make many more colleagues happy who mentioned this issue to me but have not yet posted anything.

murphys_law
Community Explorer

Here's a potential work-around to this limitation in Canvas:

After you open a submission in Speedgrader, duplicate the browser tab to open the submission in a new tab. Then drag that tab into a new window. Use the submission/rubric divider in the two windows to show the submission in one window and the rubric in the other. You can even move the rubric to another monitor. This appears to work well as long as you do not try to edit the rubric in both tabs simultaneously.

reichard
Community Explorer

Thanks murphy's - I gave this a try this weekend and it seems to "stick". I wasn't sure if it will work, since I do mark-ups in speed grader in one window, and set points and comments in the other window. But as long as I don't cancel or save the rubric grid in the other window it saves correctly. I had one glitch when I switched to another student to look something up - but this is the same issue you have when you do this in the same window anyway.

Happy to confirm that this workaround seems to do it for the time being.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

Yes please.  That rubric needs to be a pop out window that can be moved around in speed grader for teachers.  And do that for students as well when they do peer reviews!

IEML11
Community Explorer

Yes, please! I barely can read things. 

IEML11
Community Explorer

Currently, I am duplicating my tab in Google Chrome, that's possibly similar to what murphys_law described above. I drag the rubric part as a window to my laptop. However, the text in the full rubric is still tiny. I can try to enlarge the rubric in the browser but again, the text get cut off. There is no need to have such a small font on the screen. There is a lot of white space.

MWilliams24
Community Participant

Please consider implementing this feature. We have had feedback from instructors who would like to be able to open a rubric in a new window when marking in SpeedGrader. This was possible in our previous LMS so it would be great to have in Canvas.

SarahJoiner
Community Member

This would be SO helpful! Currently, when grading, I cannot see the entire rubric and it makes it unnecessarily difficult. If you draw the vertical bar to make the rubric side of the screen bigger, the assignment is impossible to see. Please consider a pop-out option for the rubric or even just the ability to zoom out on the rubric like you can on the assignment!