Quiz Features: Real-Time Notification while Quiz in Progress

(1)

Hello,

Could we add a feature for showing real-time pop-up notifications while the quiz is in progress? Sometimes we may have typos or clarifications for a particular problem, so it is nice if students can see that while they are taking the quiz. 

Thanks!

13 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, hwibowo Welcome to the Community. Thanks for taking the time to help make Canvas better! We'll need to work together to refine this idea submission before we can move it forward for voting so I have placed it into a moderation stage. First, when it comes to the development of quizzes, we've released a new quizzing engine and we are focusing all our development efforts there so feature idea submissions should be focused solely on the new quizzing engine as well. I'm not sure which quizzing engine you're currently using, but there is a way to add additional time described in How do I use the Moderation page in New Quizzes? 

Last, we need each feature idea submission to be singular in nature so that discussion and voting is clearly related to a single set of functionality. You're welcome to submit more than one idea submission. Make any changes you would like to make to this submission by clicking the "Edit" button on the top right of the page and let us know if you have any questions. 

hwibowo
Community Novice

awilliams,

The current moderation does not allow adding extra time when the quiz is already in progress. Or do you know a way to do that? And are you suggesting that the notification and the extra time features should be split into two suggestions?

Thanks!

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, again Hartanto. Yes, I'm suggesting the features should be separated into multiple idea submissions. I'm not positive but I believe in New Quizzes you can add time to a student's attempt while it is in progress. If I'm incorrect about that then it would be a fine suggestion to make in a feature idea submission. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

hwibowo

The ability to moderate an in-progress attempt has already been developed for New Quizzes: How do I moderate a student's assessment attempt in New Quizzes?  We will keep this idea in Moderating status as we await your edit so that it focuses and expands upon the "real-time notification" aspect of the request.

We hope you'll start using the new quiz tool. Resources for getting started are in the User Group: New Quizzes‌.

Thanks.

hwibowo
Community Novice

stefaniesanders‌, I understand that moderate feature can be used for accommodations, say if a student needs 50% extra time since the beginning. But, in this case, for example, the quiz has a typo and to compensate for that I would like to give 5 extra minutes for everyone during the quiz, could I do that? In this case, the quiz was set, say, from 1 to 2 pm, the due date/time was also set to be at 2 pm. Then with the extra 5 minutes, it should end at 2:05 pm, but could this be done or will the quiz closes automatically or could I change the due date/time while the quiz is ongoing? I will update the idea for real-time notification but should I also start a new idea about this timing issue? Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

hwibowo‌, New Quizzes currently doesn't have a moderation feature that allows the instructor to add extra time to all in-progress attempts at once, so if you'd like to write that up as a separate idea, please do so. Thanks for checking!

hwibowo
Community Novice

stefaniesanders‌, OK perfect, I'll do that now. Thanks!

hwibowo
Community Novice

awilliams‌ and stefaniesanders‌ this idea has been updated to only ask for the real-time notification. I will put the other idea on a separate page. Thanks!

hwibowo
Community Novice

Has this idea been approved? Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for making the requested edits, hwibowo‌! We're opening it for conversation now.

drflo_rida
Community Member

How do we get this real-time notification implemented ASAP?

elisat
Community Participant

This would be very nice!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.