[Rich Content Editor] Equilibrium Symbol for Chemistry in RCE

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Chemistry teachers would love to have their students create and submit their chemical equations within the Canvas environment but the equation editor in the RCE does not contain the equilibrium symbol. The workaround that teachers have been using is to handwrite the chemical equations, take a picture and insert the image into the assignment. Could this symbol be added to the equation editor?

Added to Theme

2 Comments
James
Community Champion

@hmq11  

In the Rich Content Editor used everywhere except for New Quizzes, you can get the equilibrium symbol by going to the Advanced View and entering \rightleftharpoons

352293_pastedImage_13.png

In the Rich Content Editor used with New Quizzes, there is no advanced mode to switch to. Instead, the advanced mode is typed directly into your text and wrapped by \( and \). It will show this way until you save the question and then it will convert into the mathematical expression.

352291_pastedImage_11.png

352292_pastedImage_12.png

I apologize if I've used that incorrectly, it's been a while since I've done chemistry.

Note: The \mathrm{} is a way to get a Roman (non-italic) font in math mode. Some people use \text{} instead of \mathrm{}. Without it, the letters are italic.

352294_pastedImage_14.png

Canvas does not support the mhchem package for latex.

You may also benefit from this Canvas Equation Editor Tips: Chemistry PDF that Canvas has prepared.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-04-15)