New Quizzes: Vary Points by Answer for Fill In Blank questions

(3)

I really like the vary points by answer for multiple choice questions.  With auto-grading, students can get feedback immediately and I can include a short comment about a common mistake associated with that specific incorrect answer while recognizing that most of the work was correct.  BTW, I teach math at the secondary level and exact answers are important so numeric and formula questions are not a viable option most of the time.  The problem with only using MC is that some students are good guessers or work backwards and I need to check for understanding of the standards.

Since Fill in the blank questions are also auto-graded and support free response, I'd love the same ability to give partial credit and feedback.  Since the RCE is not available for these answers (and I understand why - mathquill returns an image, not LaTeX, so cannot be auto-graded), I want to be able to correct syntax but still give most of the points, or again indicate the common mistake.

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @cindyk ‌. As it moves forward for general discussion, you might also be interested in this closely-related request: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2729-allow-partial-credit-for-fill-in-the-blank-questions 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.