New Quizzes: Lock To Prevent Re-Entry

(3)

I would like to see a feature where instructors can prevent students from re-entering a quiz after they have left, even if there is time remaining.  This would be helpful for school systems that cannot afford Respondus.  Currently,  a student can leave and re-enter a timed quiz and resubmit answers, even if the option for backtracking is disabled.  Can there be an option to administer Canvas Next Quizzes in the same way as the traditional quizzes in this respect?  

4 Comments
Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

When I look at editing the number of allowed attempts in Assignments, I thought that it would limit the number of times a student can open a New Quiz...

New Quiz Attempts

alexandra_harry
Community Member

My understanding and from what we are seeing when running trials, is that an attempt is considered completion and submission. So they can complete/submit a quiz and then retake the entire quiz if you give students 2 attempts.  But even if you allow only one attempt, students can leave the quiz and re-enter and continue to work until the time runs out.  So even if I set a time limit of 20 minutes, allow students one attempt, and prevent backtracking, students can leave the exam and return and re-attempt ALL problems as long as they do so within 20 minutes.  I don't believe they could do this in the old quizzes - if students left the quiz, the quiz would lock and they could not return to complete it later.  I would like that setting to be available in Next Quizzes.

Steven_S
Community Champion

In old quizzes a student who re-entered picked up where they left off if the equivalent of no backtracking was turned on.  I wonder if allowing students a way to bypass no-backtracking was the desired behavior.  Have you submitted a support ticket?  If that is really what is happening, it is also concerning from a student perspective.  Letting them start over at the beginning could mean they lose all responses on a long exam with little time to re-enter those responses.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.