Printing Tests

(1)

There should be a way to print them out! I understand not wanting to enable that for students, but professors should have that option. Especially as sometimes the internet connection for a student messes up in the middle of a quiz or something and the professor needs to have back-up paper copies for the student to finish their test on. I have had that happen with students. With Sakai, no problem because I could print. But with Canvas that is a real issue.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@blackka ‌

Thanks for sharing this idea. It's the subject of a long-running conversation underway at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1055-printable-pdf-exportable-quizzes . We'll mark this idea for archival to remove the duplication. 

Thanks, Polly. Stay safe, and stay well. Smiley Happy 

blackka
Community Novice
Author

Thanks Stefanie.

I did see the other requests and did vote them up. But this is not just a nice to have. It is essential for professors to have a way to print the test to have hard copy back-ups in case a test gets interrupted or something. Additionally, some students have learning disabilities which makes it easier for them to take tests on paper, and without being able to print the test, this accommodation is not possible.

I did not see a way to add this point to the other requests, which is why I put in a new request - so as to have a way to communicate this.

Plus - it is very helpful to be able to print out the analysis, which you can do with Classic tests but which you have not included in the new version of tests. This is more of a nice to have, but the ability to print a copy of the test for a student to take on paper is essential. Please don’t wait to fix this. This must be fixed right away.

Thank you.

Polly Black, PhD

Assistant Teaching Professor

Dept of Communication

Wake Forest University

310 Carswell Hall

o: 336-758-2657

c: 336-978-2202

blackka@wfu.edu

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@blackka ‌

Some of our community members have created solutions that might help you with the process: check out Printable Quizzes code-snippet as one example, and then search through Q&A for other remedies. The conversation thread under https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1055-printable-pdf-exportable-quizzes also includes interim solutions.

blackka
Community Novice
Author

Yes - the person who I was on Chat with did point me to the link that allows me to print out a copy of the quiz from Chrome. It only works with Classic Quizzes however, not with the new version!

Polly Black, PhD

Dept of Communication

Wake Forest University

310 Carswell Hall

blackka@wfu.edu

blackka
Community Novice
Author

Hi Stephanie

This link and code you sent me also only works with Classic quizzes. So the new quizzes still have no way to print them.

I am currently in the middle of (laboriously) putting all my tests into Classic (since new won’t convert to Classic, I can’t just import them over) because I can’t have a situation where I have no ability to print the test.

But all this said, very helpful of you to send the links. Very inept of the tech people behind Canvas not to fix this ASAP. The fact that we have to rely on the community to provide basic functions is outrageously sloppy on their part!!

Best

Polly

Polly Black, PhD

Dept of Communication

Wake Forest University

310 Carswell Hall

blackka@wfu.edu