Feature Requests: Word Files, Email Function, & Graphs in Quizzes

0 Likes

Some feature that should have already been in Canvas:

1. Be able to read a Word file as a test rather than having to jump through the hoops of making the Word file conform to the requirements of Respondus, then generate a QTI file and then have Canvas read the QTI file. This is simply ridiculous. Even my statistics program can read a Word file. I cannot understand why Canvas would make using our existing test files in Word so difficult to use.

2. The email function has little more than Notepad as the editor. No bold, on italics, no underline, no nothing. As a work around, I suppose I could compose the email in Word, save it has a file, attach the file to the Canvas email, and then let the students open the file and read it. Again, this is way (see how effect that was in making my point) more steps than should be necessary to bold some text I need to send to students.

3. Automatically unlock and publish graphs and tables included in Quizzes that are published. I prepared a test with 2 graphs and one table and when I previewed and published the test, the table and graphs were visible. When the students took the test and they got to the questions with tables and graphs, all they saw was a picture of a lock. After talking with technical support, I was told I had to go into the quizzes menu, find the graphs and table images and publish them separately and individually. Come on, if I can see the graph when I look at it in publish and preview mode, I shouldn't have to go and do something more so the students can see the images. As a result I had to give my students credit for 6 questions because they couldn't see the images. I do not like having to do that.

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@foggynotion68  Welcome to the Canvas Community. Please read through How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?‌ for guidance on writing and sharing ideas to the Ideas‌ forum. As this idea does not present a specific request for general consideration, we've archived it.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@foggynotion68 ‌

We notice that since we initially responded, you have edited this idea to incorporate a number of different requests for enhancements to various features in Canvas. As the above-linked lesson How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?  states, each idea needs to be singular in nature. Please search the Ideas‌ forum for existing ideas associated with your several requests and if you don't find one, write and share a new one.

Several of your ideas are already being discussed by our members, so you don't need to submit these anew:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2086-create-item-banks-from-msword 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1044-add-rich-content-editor-to-conversations-13183