iPhone Grading Currently Impossible

Idea will be open for vote Wed. June 3, 2015 - Wed. September 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I'm on an iPhone, & grading is impossible through the app.  I'd like to grade my final exam's short answers, but I can't figure out how.  Please make this function more intuitive & user-friendly!  Not all of us have fancy tablets, & I don't have access to a regular computer during the day, so this would make my life much easier.  In short: I want to be able to do everything related to course assignment grading from my phone.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@weilerr ​

Thank you for this idea.  I can see how this is very important to you and your workflow.

pinej
Community Novice

Frankly, even with a fancy tablet it is still not worth the effort.  I am SO disappointed at the lack of ability to get into the assignments themselves as the instructor I am.  Worst of all, though, is that the rubrics I use, which involve a series of items each worth X points, which I want to use with comments and use as the grade, end up as all-or-nothing choices on the iPad app.  Which of course means that I cannot use the app to grade student work with those rubrics.  Maddening.

Just as a side note, if it is possible to fix the rubrics could we please fix the ridiculous default that drops points as you add columns at huge percentages?  Does anyone actually have rubrics where you either have 100% or 50% or 0%?  Why not first 90%?  Or even 75%?

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Judy:

Have you tried using the SpeedGrader App on your iPad?

With it you can then use SpeedGrader to grade assignments, and the rubrics work great!

pinej
Community Novice

Some things do work in Speedgrader, but it does not work great in my opinion.  As I said, I have assignments where I have, say, 10 criteria, each worth a max of 10 points.  I want to be able to go in and say "you get 7.5 points", and "you get 4 points", just filling in the box, and then note why in the comments. In the PC version I can do that, but in Speedgrader App on iPad it will only let me give them 10 pts or 0 pts.  This is really annoying.  I don't want to make a bunch of columns for every possible number between 0 and 10 (with .5s and even maybe .75s in there as well).  I just want to be able to fill in the box with whatever number I want (even, sometimes, 11!).  I can do that with the PC, but I cannot with the mobile app.

I bought my iPad because we were going to Canvas and I thought it would be so cool.  I do a bunch of other stuff with the iPad but I've given up on Canvas with the iPad, as it won't let me do what I want.  And worse yet, the iPad App won't let me go into the assignment as instructor and change the rubric, so even if I decide "hell, I give up, I'll make a bunch of columns in the #$%& rubric" I can't do it in the app.  I can get in via the browser, but this is glitchy as it is not designed for the mobile platform, so I end up heading back to my office and my PC where I can actually do what I want to do.

Sorry, I'm het up about this.  TLDR: no, you cannot do everything in SpeedGrader on iPad, and in fact that app is more frustrating than useful for what I want to do with it.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png95925_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

sarah_vroom
Community Novice

I agree with this issue! Grading anything on my iPhone is difficult. Assignment grading has improved, but I still can't even see quizzes that I create. I would love to at least be able to see quiz submissions from students on my phone!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Canvas Teacher App.

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

anar1_mccaffrey
Community Novice

I agree. I've tried grading with my iPhone to try to give instant feedback for students (and to be more efficient with my time) but it has been extremely frustrating. I've reverted to an old school gradebook that I check students off in, then go back into Canvas later to add the grades. It is not easy to navigate.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi Everyone - Due to the age of this thread, it is being Archived. Canvas Teacher has seen many feature additions over the years, and if there is a specific need, you are welcome to create a new Idea for the Community. How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community?