include Mobile App Page Views in Page Views on User Account Details Page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be nice if the Mobile App Page Views for a user were included in the user Page Views that are accessible on the User Account Details Page.

No matter how a user is moving around in the system (laptop, desktop, mobile device, mobile app) those actions should all be recorded/visible in one area and set of Page Views.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-05-13)

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15152 

49 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This feature idea is now open for voting.

admin_brake
Community Participant

Yes! For a more complete picture of a student's activity, this should be included.

arovner
Community Contributor

Yes please! As more and more students are accessing Canvas via their mobile devices, we are losing some of the value of the Course Analytics page. 

Community Novice

Yes, as the attendance tool is insufficient for our needs we need to progarmmatically write our own in house.  Now to find out that the mobile device usagae is not captured means that our internal programming is no longer accurate.  this is not nice to have, but need/critical to have given that this is what is recommended to determine student attendance.

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm not a mobile developer so I might be unclear on this, but I'm pretty sure all activity is tracked similarly. Desktop/laptop browser and mobile browser is definitely tracked the same way, and the mobile app is really just the using the API underneath. So is the request that mobile app usage be logged differently than browsers? I don't think anything is currently lost, it just isn't differentiated. Not sure it can easily be differentiated since the mobile app utilizes the API for it's functionality.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

If a student uses a Mobile App to take an exam, view course pages, etc his/her actions are currently not captured in the UI Page Views for a user when you look at: your.institution/accounts/number/user/number  To get those Page Views you have to ask Canvas Support (as there also is currently not an API --unless something has changed in the last few months).

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I see. So does this feature idea just want those api calls/mobile app usage to be counted like browser usage, or would it be indicated what is browser and what is mobile? I think the former would be easier to implement than the other but again... not a mobile dev. :smileycool:

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Currently the Page Views have a column titled "User Agent" which tells us basic OS and Browser versions. I think that's were it should tell us if the user is using an App (and which app --Android or iPhone)

bgates
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Its coming! We are working to ensure the mobile analytics are accounted for. More to come in the following months...

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks, Brian!