Google Docs graded with Speedgrader tool

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would love to be able to have my students submit a Google Doc, Slide, Drawing or Sheet in Speedgrader and for the ability to use the Crocodoc tools to annotate directly on the file. Perhaps somehow it would be able to create a simple PDF of the submitted file so it can be annotated. This would make it so students on iPads or laptops could create a Google Doc and directly submit it to Canvas without having to first download it as a Word file to submit, which is a pain in the rear-end on an iPad. Plus it defeats the point of a Google doc and the ability to collaborate.

Grade and annotate on a submitted Google Doc via Speedgrader tool, both tablet and web version please.

Comments from Instructure...

Please find more information about this feature in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-08-29)

29 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This feature idea is now open for voting.

buellj
Community Contributor

I would like to see more integration with Google docs and other Google Apps. We are considering becoming a Google Apps school and this would add more value if we go in that direction.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Google Apps for Edu - for the win!

twhite1
Community Novice

​Good call Brad. With Google's new Classroom API there will be more pressure to keep up with the growing free tool. WC teachers will be voting for increased integration with Google Apps as well. K-4 and 9-12 planning to adopt Canvas in the coming weeks...

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Thanks Tim. I just really love both Google and Canvas and want these powerful tools that we use everyday in our classrooms to play well with each other.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, there is an interesting conversation going on about using Google Classroom and Canvas: Google Classroom

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Thanks I have not seen it yet. I will check it out.

twhite1
Community Novice

​Scott that thread helps me to better understand the need. It does seem like Canvas may have a a great integration avenue through the new Google Classroom API. It even seems possible that the features of Classroom may one day soon be directly integrated into Canvas. Thanks for the link!

clong
Community Champion

not to hijack this idea... just wanted to draw your attention to a new idea that is somewhat related See:

Carry On :smileylaugh:

clong
Community Champion

PS... I prefer using the native Google commenting tools on Google submissions. This keeps the conversation and feedback as part of the Google Doc history and flows very nicely. To do this- you have to make the assignment a URL submission and the students need to turn in the share URL of the Doc and make so  you can edit or comment or anyone with link can. It's a few extra steps but once they know how to do this it's awesome!

PSS... With the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-07-06)​ it looks like we are going to lose the ability to load URLs inside of Speedgrader. This is something Canvas has been able to do since the very beginning. Please make your voice heard if you think this is something they should keep! Thanks!!!