Search Filter in Commons

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

64535_CommonSearchFilter.jpgCommonSearchFilter.jpgWhen using the search filter in Canvas Commons, only the "Grade/Level" filter has options to select multiple options at one time and include those results in the search.  The "Shared with", "Type", and "Subject" fields only allow you to select one option.  It would be helpful for people to be able to select multiple options (check boxes) in these other drop-down fields as well.  For example, what if I wanted to search for objects of both images and discussions on a specific species of animal.  Currently, using filters, I would have to do two separate searches...or if no filters were applied, then one could use the keyword search...but still would need to use the filters at some point (especially once the object library gets a lot larger).

9 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Chris_Hofer ​ Thank you for your feedback on Commons. The process for voting and feature ideas is less formal for Commons Feature Ideas​ (where I've moved this idea to). This idea is open for voting.

Also, I would encourage to join the Commons user pool where surveys are sent out periodically to provide feedback on this and other Commons features as they roll out.

Smiley Happy

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks!  Did not know about the user pool.  I'll check that out today!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

FilterSelection.jpgI'm not sure if this needs to be a separate Feature Idea request for Commons, but based on my idea above...if changing the way filtering works is not possible, then I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for having a black "x" to clear the filter (as shown in this image) if only one selection option is allowed at a time.  To me, this seems like an unnecessary, extra click just to get rid of the filter and then click again to choose another option in the same list.  If people want to see everything available, maybe have an "All" option at the top of each list instead.

kmcgee
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @Chris_Hofer ​ !

Thank you for this feedback. Our search bar and filter is so important to the success of Commons, so thank you for your feedback. We are working on an update to the filters and would love to hear any additional ideas or feedback you have.

Thank you!

Kate McGee

Commons Product Mangaer

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Looking forward to seeing the updates.  One additional thing I thought of (and I'm not sure this would even be possible) would be to have the icon for an object also displayed next to the filter search dropdown.  For example, in my screenshot from yesterday, you see that round purple icon for shared Discussion topics.  Could that icon also be included next to the word "Discussions" in the "Type" dropdown menu?

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Chris_Hofer ​

Commons' search functionality has evolved. Check out the latest release for more information: Commons Release Notes (2016-02-09)​ You'll note that the 'Subject' filter is no longer available since tagging is a much more refined way to search content.

Currently, you can select multiple resource types from the 'TYPE' drop-down menu.

170566_pastedImage_1.png

So, I will go ahead and mark this feature idea as 'completed'. But please continue to share your feedback. It's the user feedback that helps Commons become better!

Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team