[Calendar] Copy or Duplicate a Event

A good instructional design practice is to have a predictable module structure for students to follow throughout a course. Many courses use the calendar to clearly communicate deadlines to students, and must do so with consistent format.

Currently copying requires creating a calendar event, and copying content for each item. By adding a “copy” button, the effort to build a course will be greatly reduced. If this triggered a dialogue to state how many copies to make, it would be very simple to quickly build out a calendar structure.

Please help to flesh out this idea by discussing your particular use case in the comments.

Added to Theme

27 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This feature idea is now open for voting.

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Wasn't there a push to haver a 'repeating" event function at some point? What happened to that?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi John,

Yes, recurring events is a feature currently in development.  You can track it's progress here: Canvas Studio: Recurring Activity Option for Calendar

Thanks,

Scott

john_morris
Community Participant

@scottdennis ​, correct me if I am wrong, but I'm reading a key qualifier on the Canvas Studio: Recurring Activity Option for Calendar feature as "regular". It does not appear to handle "irregular" scheduling. For example, I have a simulation that has company teams competing with each other in a business scenario and requires the entire class to be in sync so that I can process their decision sets all at the same time. I process rounds about every other day... I say "about" because holidays and weekends can interfere. I like using the calendar and put all of the expected processing days on it; this is a painful and tedious process of using multiple windows, cut and pasting and making minor adjustments. The proposed solution would create a much better -- and easier to implement -- alternative.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @john_morris ​,

Yes, you are correct, that this feature will allow users to create batches of calendar events (every Monday until October 5th for example).  Batch event delete is on the horizon, and if I'm not mistaken, batch event editing is under consideration.

john_morris
Community Participant

@scottdennis ​, it appears then that this current proposal which is open for voting, ​, would address the batch event editing? Is the "consideration" part about whether or not this gets 100 votes? Would the development team include it even though it only has 80 votes now? (Btw, I wish there were a way to campaign for votes. There seem to be fewer instructors participating in the voting than there are developers and administrators... I feel underrepresented in the voting.)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi John,

Sorry for not being more clear.  I was referring to

I can see where you are coming from with wanting more instructors to participate in the forums.  Hopefully over time the word will get around more.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @jbuchner  - Did you see the latest Canvas Production Release Notes?

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For better or worse, this can be accomplished using the recurring activity option for Calendar. That solution doesn't perfectly serve all the cases this particular request might cover, but it's as close as we'll get for the time being.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks, Peyton!