Google Classroom integration

(1)
Now that Google has released their Classroom API it seems like this would be a great opportunity to bring in a tight integration with Google Apps For Education leveraging the added benefits that Google Classroom brings to the table.

A couple of things that teachers LOVE about Google Classroom (that would be great to leverage in Canvas) are:

1. When a student turns-in a Google Doc, Sheet, Slideshow, Drawing it automatically gives Teacher edit permissions and takes away the student's edit permission until the assignment is graded/returned to student.
  2. It's super easy to provide students with a template document that they will click on and automatically get a document of their own (based off your template) to work on.
  3. The Google Drive Management- It does a very nice job of organizing everything into folders for the teachers and students.

Whatever Instructure can do to make the integration between Google & Canvas more seamless and roboust will be greatly used and appreciated. If you have ideas on this please add below.

...and in keeping with the musical theme of instcon 2015 here's a little Duran Duran re-mix

Google released an API, came out yesterday,

Use it to build a Canvas-Google hideaway - maybe next year, maybe no go.

I know you're watching TechCrunch every minute of the day, yeah.

I've seen the hashtags and the tweets and the roadmaps

They give your game away, yeah.

There's a dream that sings along with new integrations that just belong

And I got so far before I had to say:

Please, please, tell me now, is there something I should know?

Is there something I should say that would make this come our way?

If you feel the same you've just got to let us know!

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

36 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Wow!  You never cease to surprise me  @Chris_Hofer ​!  Great lyrical skills!!!

clong
Community Champion

I'm thinking you meant me (Chris Long) :smileylaugh: but  @Chris_Hofer ​ is welcome to add a verse!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've got nothin'.  Well done,  @clong ​!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Yes, I did.  So sorry  @clong ​!

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

I'm more than ready for this one to happen!!! There have to be a lot of votes...

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Normally I would say this is why Canvas has an API and someone else should write such an integration, but native GAFE support would really make Canvas a no-brainer for K-12 so I say it's worth it!

msuomi
Community Novice

This would be AMAZING!  Especially as a high school curriculum director, the Google Classroom has some great simplicity for assignments being managed and turned in with google docs (which our students all use due to the fact that we have chromebooks).  That is the only bad aspect of Canvas for us as we are trying it out for 1:1 work - if we resolved that assignment issues with the Google Classroom API that would be fantastic and super empowering and increase confidence level of our teachers and students in using an online LMS.

Thanks!

jason_paddock
Community Explorer

Yes, yes, and yes. Love the Classroom's ability to assign and manage documents. All the better to be able to trigger that within Canvas rather than have to move everyone out of Canvas only to come back.

Perhaps integrate such that a Classroom assignment box pops up like an iframe inside the editor window.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

That has to be the most creative feature request yet!:smileycool:

You got my vote just for the Duran Duran rewrite!

clong
Community Champion

Thanks Kelley... 10 more votes to reach 100.

bboone
Community Novice

Google Classroom integration would be awesome.  Vote this up folks!

kristy
Instructure
Instructure

You did it,  @clong ​ Bravo. Way to give this one a little extra attention. Smiley Wink

nepley
Community Novice

Google Classroom-Canvas Integration would be fantastic!!!!  Vote this up!!!!!

megscott
Community Explorer

Oh my word! This would be amazing. We were just having issues with students submitting their Docs files since the teacher sees them as Word files. The formatting doesn't always stay the same from Docs to Word, and if the student submits the link to the doc, he or she could go back in and make changes. If we could have #1 in the original post here, our lives would be so much easier. 

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is an area we would like to make at least incremental improvements to during the next year. If anyone on this thread would like to be part of the process of validating some of our ideas around improving Google integration points, please contact me: allison@instructure.com

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@clong ​ - you'd be my nominee for this.

clong
Community Champion

Thanks Adam, and I did send Allison an email request to be part of the group today Smiley Wink

pmajeske
Community Novice

Even a simple start by making a provision to invite a class to a shared folder in Google Drive (without the need to post every single email) would be a great help.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I'm voting for  @clong  too!

I see he's on it, so the project will be in good hands!

klm