Copyright for images

(1)
When we embed an image can Canvas include a field to add Copyright to an image so the copyright displays right below the image? e.g.

71761_Copyright example.pngCopyright example.png

Many licenses require images to have attribution of the artist as well as the photo image provider (especially if it is for commercial use).

At present it is very difficult to align the copyright under an image. If this was built in it would be good practice to acknowledge the artist and supplier.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

45 Comments
susan_cornish
Community Novice

This is a really strong suggestion.It would make attribution much more straightforward. Perhaps there could be an option to autodisplay the relevant information when using the Canvas integrated Creative Commons Flickr images.

bronwyn_thompso
Community Novice

I agree with this suggestion - if the added automatic Flickr attribution actually hyperlinked back to the picture in Flickr that would be a really responsible 'copyright' acknowledgment. 

jblumberg
Community Contributor

I to really like this suggestion.  As educational institutions we have a responsibility to teach information literacy which includes proper citation and credit for using the works of others.  We need to bake this into everything we do, and this would be promoted if the LMS included this feature.

The window that pops up for the attributes for an image in the WYSIWYG interface has space for ALT tags and width and height.  It would make sense to add the citation option here.

Josh

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

@jacqueline_chu2 ​, I'm super in support of this idea!

kedgecomb
Community Champion

I think this is a great idea!  So many users do not give credit, or think about giving credit, to the appropriate author(s).  Thank you for the suggestion!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I really like this idea. I typically put images in a one column-two row table so that I can add attribution below it, but that is tedious.

a_eberhard
Community Novice

+1 to this idea!

mpoole
Community Explorer

I also really like this idea.  I have 2 tools that I use for image (and other content) attribution, both of which I learned from this community.

One option is to embed a tooltip (like the flikr one, but with my own content, including links).  I learned how to do it from this: Add Tooltips to Images and Text

Since the user has to hover over the content to display the tooltip, another option is to install the CC attribution tool that creates an attribution section on any page (or discussion or assignment or wherever there's added content).  Here's the info on that:  Re: How do I place attributions for resources I got from Commons?

Hopefully these can be helpful workarounds while this feature makes its way through the request process.

darrah_long
Community Novice

Great idea. I support this!

sau-chee_low
Community Novice

This will save us a lot of time and work! Thanks for this wonderful idea!

sau-chee_low
Community Novice

I agree, Susan!

marthazumack
Community Contributor

Great idea! This would help institutions model best online practices. What's more, when students post in the discussions, they'll be able to see how easy it is to give attribution and will increase their digital literacy.

heidi1
Community Contributor

Kelly-

Is there a group in the community that our librarians would find most

useful? Perhaps a place where resources that evolve out of this type of

conversation are archived. Our librarians are excited about integrating

the specifics of copyright and Canvas.

Thanks,

Heidi

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just a reminder that this feature idea will open for voting just under one week from now on August 5th - looks like this one is going to be popular!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @heidi1 

If you haven't already, you might want to go vote for the proposed group for librarians over in the Groups space - Join Groups.

You might also like Canvas Commons  if you haven't been there yet.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting.

james_buck
Community Novice

This is especially important since Canvas's Flickr search searches images whose licensing terms REQUIRE attribution, but, provides no attribution, so the tool breaks the terms of the license by default.

It also returns images that require non-commercial or share-alike use, which it doesn't specify.

A copyright/attribution/caption field would both allow instructors to put descriptions of their images, which is useful, but allow proper attribution as (is often) required by the terms of the license.

katrina_moriart
Community Novice

This is a great idea, Jacqueline. Our Online Learning Development Team has been communicating the need for correct attribution of images, and referencing for all resources to teachers and students. This will make the actual process of attribution easier, and also make the communication of this much overlooked requirement easier too. Thanks!

heidi1
Community Contributor

I don't know how to propose a group.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Heidi.

The group has already been proposed at Join Groups

Here is a direct link to the proposed