Autosave SpeedGrader Comments when moving from student to student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. August 5, 2015 - Wed. November 4, 2015  Learn more about voting...

To build on a recent feature release I'd love to see a warning message display if the instructor enters a comment in Speedgrader but forgets to click on Submit Comment and navigates to the next student.

Since the comment is saved and carries over into the next student it can be problematic.

I've seen this happen frequently in our own workshops and courses as well as with instructors on occasion.  If the internet is slow or if an instructor is forgetful or they don't click cleanly on the Submit Comment button, they may have entered a comment into Speedgrader to a student that does not get submitted.  Then when they navigate to grade the next student, they realize their error and fix it or potentially click submit on the wrong student and it may post to the incorrect student.

Thanks!

- Melanie

16 Comments
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Good call!    As a TA, I have accidentally moved on without clicking "Save Comment" and ending up sending my comments to the wrong student. That is quite annoying!

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @kroeninm ​!

I've actually seen this happen as well, but caught my mistake prior to submitting my comments.

@canvas_admin ​ and Melanie - can either of you verify that comments are actually being sent to the wrong student? Perhaps provide some screenshots related to this error?

I think this should be reported as a bug rather than a feature request.

Smiley Happy

canvas_admin
Community Champion

@biray ​, I hope this helps.

Comment input but not submitted for 1st student

01 comment for first student.png

Unsubmitted comment moves to 2nd student when teacher moves to grade 2nd student

02 unsubmitted comment moved in speedgrader to second student.png

Comment erroneously submitted while on the 2nd student

03 comment erroneously submitted to second student.png

Comment shows up in grade report for 2nd student

04 comment showing for second student.png

kroeninm
Community Champion

I don't see it as a bug as Canvas doesn't do anything wrong.  It would be if the instructor wasn't really paying attention to what they were doing.  As Mark shows, the instructor still has to deliberately move to the next student (and forget to submit the comment) and then deliberately click on Submit Comment on the next student.  Typically if you were paying attention you would realize it was the wrong comment when you were giving the new student a comment and catch yourself...

But if logging it as a bug makes it adjust quicker let me know.  It doesn't happen that often but I know I've done it at least once as have most of my colleagues.  Once you do it one time you are much more careful!  :smileygrin:

- Melanie

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

The potential for posting a comment to the wrong student is one reason that I love the grade mute feature. I've caught myself making this mistake but fortunately I've been able to fix it before unmuting the grades. (Usually I notice immediately after I click "submit"--doh!)

canvas_admin
Community Champion

The reason we don't mute assignments is because we are on rolling registration, so our students are all at different points in the class at any given time. Usually, grading does not happen in bulk, but rather here and there as students submit an assignment.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​  This feature idea already exists and is open for voting here " modifiedtitle="true" title="Autosave "additional comments" in SpeedGrader like numerical scores.  You will see in the comment thread of this idea that we also reference the recent feature release and recognize that it is not a complete fix, but a bandaid for now.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I am going to archive this idea as a duplicate.

kroeninm
Community Champion

Deactivated user​

This is a different issue.  The request you mention is specific to the Quiz grading in which the "Comments" for each question within the page are "lost" if the instructor forgets to Update Scores.  These are the quiz comments after each question or at the bottom.  Not the same comments box or issue. 

The comments box I'm referring to is specific to assignments and discussions primarily at the right, the comments aren't lost but instead are carried over to the next student so addressing the request doesn't cover my case scenario.  If you adjust the wording to include the carryover issue in the other comments box which is more troublesome that would make it possible to combine the two. 

Thanks!

- Melanie

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting.