[Permissions] Separate "Create and edit assessing rubrics" into 2 permissions

Please change each the "Create and edit assessing rubrics" from a single setting to two separate settings.

Current:

Create and edit assessing rubrics

Should become:

• Create assessing rubrics
  • Edit assessing rubrics

One reason for this request:

This would allow you to set TAs (or other roles) to having only the permissions needed for that role instead of none of them or all of them. For example, the ability to create a rubric but not delete one.

Per Cosme Salazar in More granular permissions for admins and In Permissions, Change "ADD, EDIT, and DELETE" into Three Separate Settings I have divided out the multiple functionality settings into their own requests. There are now 10 separate requests.

Comments from Instructure

We have exciting news about the first phase of the Priority: Granular Permissions‌.  The New User Interface is included in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .  Go check it out!

Added to Theme

10 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just a reminder that this idea will open for voting in just under a week, on August 5th.

BROEKERC
Community Novice

Rationale: unbundle the delete permission to allow TAs  to create/edit but not delete.

cdoherty
Community Participant

Rationale for Stanford: Instructor's may want TAs to create their own rubrics (for homework), but prevent them from editing the core rubrics created by the instructor. The important thing is to prevent accidental deletion of content.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

After doing some research we have determined that there is a need for unbundling several permissions. The permissions project is a bigger beast than I originally thought. I know this isn't something we will be able to work on for next 3-6 months but will revisit this. 

millerjm
Community Champion

We need some support for our case that the permissions available in Canvas are not sufficient for our needs.  Above is the update that Allison Weiss posted to many of our feature ideas.  She is asking for use cases for granularity and we really need to justify each and every one.  I made a document to track discussions and feature ideas related to permissions: 

Canvas Permissions and Granularity Feature Ideas

This is the sort of information that would assist in getting these changes made during this permissions audit.  This information would need to be added as comments to the individual feature ideas, and if it needs to be pasted to more than one, then please do that.  I know it's tiresome to post the same thing again and again, even though someone else has already done it, but they need to see that it's not just 5 people with these issues!  We haven't gotten much traction because we haven't had enough use cases posted but my document above seems to have gotten some attention.

• What has the current user permissions "bundling" and lack of granularity cost you in terms of support and functionality?
  • What permissions have you HAD to grant to someone simply to allow them to be able to do their job, that you would have rather NOT given?
  • What permissions have you had to DENY giving someone because it gave them access to something that you could not due to security, concern about causing trouble, etc.?
  • What other qualms do you have about things?
  • What things have cost you more in staff hours because of denying access to someone, means that your department had to research, do work, etc, on behalf of a user that would have been able to do their work if the permissions were granular?

Thank you!

Joni

I'm also tagging  @kona ​ and cms_hickss​  since they have been so involved in getting attention to these feature ideas. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

For this idea, please also remember to follow:

The first step to getting Granular Permissions was completed with the Permissions: New Interface.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme