Is there an iCloud integration on the horizon?

There's one for students to hand in assignments from Dropbox, Box, and OneDrive; collaboration through Google Docs... More and more Mac's seem to be showing up on our campus, even between semesters; so I imagine an iCloud (and/or Pages, Numbers, Keynote...) could become handy in the near future.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

11 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has been taken out of the Cold Storage and is opening for vote as part of the new Partner Integration ideas‌ space.  Find out more about this process in the New: Partner Integration Idea Process‌ blog post!

joseph_ledosque
Community Novice

I would especially love to see the ability to view pages, keynote, and numbers files natively in Canvas.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
smurphy1
Community Novice

I wish Canvas would just decide if they are actually going to improve the apps or improve the experience in Safari and then commit to one and make them better. We are beyond frustrated at the user experience in our iPad 1-1.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@smurphy1 ‌

I'm not sure where the confusion is, but I want to make sure and clarify for you!

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10720-67952720329?sr=search&searchId=73686679-01c9-4d99-a71...‌ has a section regarding mobile browsers.  Mobile browsers are not something we support, or plan to support.  The mobile apps continue to evolve and improve, however, their scope is not to parity the web experience, but to provide a native app experience.

Hope that helps.

smurphy1
Community Novice

So there is no plan to support Safari on the 12" iPad Pro? This is the device we are moving our teachers to.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Scott,

In the guide article that Renee referred to it says, "The Canvas interface was optimized for desktop displays, so using small form factors such as phones may not be a pleasant experience in using Canvas. Canvas is not officially supported on mobile browsers. We recommend using Canvas mobile applications for an improved user experience."  That being said Safari is the default browser that opens from Canvas.  Because Canvas is optimized for desktop displays, not all functionality will always be available in mobile browsers.  This isn't specific to 12" iPads and isn't a policy that has changed recently.

Thanks,

Scott 

cmurphy2
Community Member

I am confused. I am being told by support to use a web browser to accomplish tasks on a mobile device because the app does not have the ability. One example: Accepting invites to courses.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Cindy,

Unless I'm mistaken that is correct - you cannot accept course invites via the app.  That needs to be done in a browser.

Thanks,

SD

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

This is true! Here's an idea that's open for voting: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2033-accept-course-invites-in-mobile-app 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Our Product Team reviewed some of our oldest feature proposals recently, and this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!