Help Menu customization for login page only

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. September 2, 2015 - Wed. December 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

With the flexibility we have to add additional menu items to the Help menu in Canvas, it would be wonderful if we could get an extra set of options to allow institutions to place items only on the login page Help menu. For example, it is not wholly uncommon at our College for students to be confused about what their login credentials are. I would like to add something to our Help Menu, however, I don't need to add this item to the Help menu users see once they are logged in (as it's a moot point by that time).

Perhaps an additional row of options for each entry, such as this:

94024_ScreenShot157.jpgScreenShot157.jpg

Comments from Instructure

Login Customization has been deployed to production.  Please find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

Login Customization

As part of the New Canvas UI, Admins can customize elements of the login page for their institution including body background images, logos (or other graphical images), border options, and button customizations.

10 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @powellj ​

I don't believe customizing the help menu itself is an option, but I believe you can actually do better than that!  Canvas allows you to Video Link : 1077 ​, which includes linking to your own help options.  There is an amazing post by  @James ​ in Adding text and href to login page using override CSS

If you have further questions in the groups that James recommends.

I am going to archive this idea because adding your own custom help links is possible!

powellj
Community Participant
Author

Perhaps I didn't explain very well - I was referring to the EXISTING option that is available for institutions to add an additional item to the Help Menu, which states: "Custom Links to include in the help dialog popup - If you would like to link to your own campus support website in the help dialog you can do that here". Just below that text what is displayed in the screen shot image I posted above.

When adding an additional item to the Help Menu using that option, the new item will be added to the Help Menu that appears on BOTH the login page, as well as from within the system itself. What I am suggesting is to provide an additional option to that existing feature, which will allow the new addition to ONLY appear on the login Help Menu.

In my screen shot above, the bolded text is my mockup, where as the other text is a direct screen shot from Canvas.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the clarification.  We can move this forward for voting.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The New UI is introducing great features.  This one may help with the feature you are seeking. 

Please take a look at the Canvas Beta Release Notes

Login Customization

As part of the New Canvas UI, Admins can customize elements of the login page for their institution including body background images, logos (or other graphical images), border options, and button customizations.

You can test this feature in your own beta instance.  Find  out more at How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Login Customization has been deployed to production.  Please find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

Login Customization

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@powellj ​

Please take a look at the new Login Customization and let us know if it helps with your feature idea!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey, Jacci,

We have some additional changes coming to the help menu next release. I am not exactly sure if they let you choose the location of where you want the links, but the links themselves are much more customizable. I'll look at this again next release and leave an update here for you. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Erin

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed