Allow partial credit for fill-in-the-blank questions

Idea created by Constancia Wendt on Aug 28, 2015
    Radar
    Score163
    Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Idea will be open for vote Wed. September 2, 2015 - Wed. December 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

This is a really helpful feature for language teachers, perhaps others. I've seen this suggested for multiple choice, but not for fill-ins.

I teach Spanish; we rely heavily on fill-in-the blanks. It would be nice if we could give partial credit for missing accent marks or tildes. For example, on a days of the week quiz, the student has to write miércoles in the blank:

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.18.00 PM.png

But what if I want to give half credit for "miercoles", with the missing accent mark? I know that several students will fail to put the accent mark. As it is now, my choices are to:

a) go through and hand-grade each of the question #1s, giving them half a point.

b) add miercoles (no accent) as an additional answer, for full credit (no language teacher would want to do this!)

c) take the all-or-nothing stance and not allow credit for missing accent marks.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to do this?

miércoles - 1 point

miercoles - .5            (or 50%)

As a language teacher, there are lots of times in which I'd like to offer partial credit, and I'm sure others could benefit from it as well. It's not unheard of in the world of learning platforms!

You could also do a predictable WRONG answer with this, giving 0% credit and giving a reason for it being wrong, if this capability were written in.

Comments from Instructure

November 2015 update from Jason Sparks

Hello, Canvas Family!

We want to implement partial credit across all of the quizzes tool.  We are exploring a series of extensive improvements to the quizzes toolset, which includes this idea and much more. I know we won't be able to deploy this idea in the next six months; however, be assured we've listened and want to implement this in the not-too-distant future.

Kind regards,

Community members can follow the larger project at Modern Quizzing Engine