View quiz statistics and download Student Analysis report by section

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

PURPOSE:

To allow instructors to view and/or download quiz responses by section

IMPACT OF LACK OF FEATURE:

Instructors of large enrollment courses are unable to view quiz responses by section. The current workaround is to download the full Student Analysis report. The problems with this are:

1. This takes some time and can sometimes lead the application it is being opened in to crash due to the size of the file.
  2. Attempting to sort the file by section is complicated by the fact that each student belongs to two different sections, which is often the case for large-enrollment classes, as they are enrolled in both the lecture and the discussion section. So, there are two sections entered for each student, which seems to be randomly ordered, see screenshot:

95524_2015-09-01_11-31-17.png2015-09-01_11-31-17.png

It would stand to reason that if they were ordered alphabetically, that DIS sections would always appear before the LEC sections, but that is not the case. Per Canvas L2: "Looking over the sections for each student, it looks like the sections match how the sections are listed on the user's account." It is unclear why the section ordering is set that way.

Regardless, it's clear that current workaround does not really work, and that the ideal situation would be to have the feature what would allow viewing and/or downloading of results by section in the first place so that instructors, especially of large-enrollment courses, are not left with the tedious administrative task of sorting through a report that is already difficult to read. We have many large-enrollment courses at UC Berkeley that are using Canvas, several of which serve 500+ students. Anything that can be done to make their experience more efficient so that they can focus on instructional work and helping students learn would be most appreciated.

PAST IDEAS

Other feature ideas requesting the same or similar functionality have been archived. They can be found here:

I wanted to bring it up again because not only is it an issue with our large courses, but also because it is a part of the larger, ongoing difficulties that instructors are experiencing with the system due to limited section control within Canvas.

Comments from Instructure

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

6 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission, 1086095​.

95511_pastedImage_2.png

This is a great idea! As you stated, two versions of this idea already exists in our community!

Please add your comment and vote to (when it becomes open for voting on Sept. 2)

Don't forget to follow and bookmark the idea to receive updates as they are available.

Unfortunately, this idea will be archived since it is a duplicate!

That said, I really think your thoughts were well-constructed and articulated with great detail. I would hate to see that get lost in the voting process. Therefore, I encourage you to either A) Link to this post in the comments section of the other idea that will be open for vote on Sept 2, or B) Copy/paste or quote or re-type a version of your explanation in the comment section of the other idea as an expanded reference.

Smiley Happy

Community Novice

That's really unfortunate. I was encouraged to write this as a Feature Idea by both L1 and L2 support agents, and it took some time to write up.

I will copy and paste it as a comment in the other post.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has been developed and is available on Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-10-19)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This Feature is Complete!

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

ROI.png

Thank you to sedwards, Deactivated user,  @robert_wakelyn  and 1086095  for submitting

Additional thanks to, beynercz,  @lpfister , Deactivated user, tsanchez, and  @BradMoser   for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed