Customizable Colors for Gradebook Cells

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

In the Gradebook, cells for re-submitted assignments are pale orange and late assignments are light pink.  Enabling the user (with TA, Teacher, or Instructional Designer privileges) to customize the color scheme for these cells in the Gradebook could expedite grading as well as increase accessibility for visually impaired users.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

13 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@arpvdc ​

This is a very interesting idea.  Can you provide more detail on how you think custom colors will help withe grading expedition and accessibility?

arpvdc
Community Novice

I am supervising TAs for a course with over 900 students. Each TA is

responsible for around 70 students. Making re-submissions and late

submission cells in the Gradebook really stand out might help us (and other

instructors in charge of large-enrollment courses) easily distinguish which

assignments and students need more immediate attention.

Also, some of the TAs have mentioned that the colors of the cells in the

Gradebook for resubmissions and late assignments are difficult to

distinguish from each other and the other cells. If they could change the

color of these cells (perhaps in a drop-down menu in their User Settings)

it might be more immediately apparent to them which assignments need to be

graded or which students we turning in multiple late assignments, etc.

With regard to accessibility, visually impaired and/or colorblind

individuals using the Gradebook might be able to more easily distinguish

between cells if they are able to choose the color or intensity of the

color of these cells.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:11 PM, rcarney@instructure.com <

suzanne_waldenb
Community Participant

I have to agree. I used custom colors in my gradebook when we used Blackboard, and I could assess a student's progress instantly, as well as get a good snapshot of the class as a whole. Red marked missing assignments (grade of 0.) Yellow flagged assignments that were below a passing grade. Green marked assignments where a revision had been submitted. Much easier and clearer than pale pink and pale orange!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

For more information on the voting process check out How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

152469_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

A related idea has been submitted, and will open February 3, 2016

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has resurfaced at .

bturner3
Community Novice

I would like to see a setting like I had in Blackboard where I could color code assignments that were scored below 60 or between scores of 60-69.  I would like to be able to assign another color for assignments that scored 0.  It would make an easy visual when scanning through your student to see who needs to make up work or who is scoring low.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.