Duplicate/copy assignments

I often have assignments that I would like to duplicate within a single class. I would like to be able to duplicate an assignment such as a weekly journal check or a simple presentation or anything that I repeat multiple times in a semester.

12 Comments
jomontuori
Community Contributor

Agree. A couple of teachers have already asked for this feature as we roll out Canvas in our first year.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@droberson ​, this is one of most widely requested feature idea - !

Right now the work around is to copy the assignment back into your course using the Course Import tool - How do I import content from another Canvas course? In the directions when you go to pick the course make sure and select the current course that you are in (it will show a warning icon, but you can ignore it) and then the "Select Specific Content." This will then allow you to pick the specific assignment or assignments you would like to copy. When the get copied they will have the same name, but the number 1 will be added to show that it's the copy.

Hope this helps!

cwendt
Community Champion

It definitely works, because that's exactly what I do!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Duane,

There is a thread specifically about copying assignments that you might want to check out:

To quote the Product Manager for assignments,

"Hello Colleagues,

This is a great idea, and one we are actively exploring.  We may not get to this in the next six months; however, it is on our radar to allow copying of multiple types of gradable content within Canvas. We expect to share more as we can on this feature's status.

Jason"

jlmiller
Community Novice

I hope this is still in the making... although it looks like it has been shelved. I would use it in every class at this point. It would save a lot time and clicks... Not only for assignments but for quizzes too! Smiley Happy

Thank you!

cdickinson
Community Novice

I would definitely like this feature!!

pne
Community Novice

+1 for this idea. I have two weekly assignments for the entire semester. Currently, I have to create 26 separate assignments. Why oh why can't I just copy the first one 12 times?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-07-15) 

sdeban
Community Explorer

They had this feature but took it away. Now there is only Move To... 

I hope they put it back because it was essential. 285610_Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 11.09.56 AM.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sdeban ‌, the ability to duplicate an assignment has not been removed. Have you tried the customary troubleshooting steps, such as a different browser, cache clearing, and so forth? If you're still not able to duplicate an assignment from the Assignments list as described in How do I duplicate an assignment?‌, please submit a help ticket (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌)