Permissions Page improvements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Freeze the column headings when you scroll down the list of permissions so it is easier to know which permission you are adjusting.  Presently, one has to count columns and then remember which one to change, since the role names scroll off the page as one moves to the bottom of the ever-expanding list of permissions.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

32 Comments
millerjm
Community Champion

Here is an archived idea for the same feature.  It has specifics and images, which I have also posted below.  Hopefully this helps us get votes for this one! 

As you can see in the images below, I've had to zoom out my browser as well as use post-its to keep track of which rows/columns I am editing.  I've made several mistakes due to the problems I have seeing all of the information, which is why I've resorted to using the big TV so that I can scroll out to see everything, as well as some post-its.

i would like to see this work more like the Grades, where you can always see the student names and column headings.

IMG_2642-small.pngIMG_2642.png

dianepbh
Community Participant

It seems really that basic that a page that has headers would freeze the column headers. Can't imagine why that would need votes to prioritize this basic feature (it is not a luxury).

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

This will become very important as the permissions page gets longer; especially when the combined permissions (add, edit, delete) are separated out.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I should have commented on this before, but I would be okay if the Row Header (Teacher, TA, Student, etc) repeated every 10-20 rows just to be able to have the permission header column scroll left or right along the role columns you are trying to update.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Or, how about a "crosshairs" design so that the cell you are working on/selecting is highlighted from both the top (role) and the side (permission).

Community Novice

As an Admin I severely hate the way this is. I do not like to stretch the browser over two monitors! Not everyone has the budget to upgrade to a letterbox monitor!

Please fix yesterday.

millerjm
Community Champion

For the people who are "gathering info" for this idea...here is my monitor today while troubleshooting the TA permissions... there was more permissions than would fit on the screen so I would have had to reduce the font size or stretch onto another screen.

IMG_6839.JPG

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi all! Love this idea. As we look to break out some of our permissions into more granular permissions, it will become even more important. Addressing UI concerns is a lower priority, however, than giving admins the permissions they need to administer their instance of Canvas. I anticipate that we might be able to look at this feature idea more closely in the Fall but we'll archive for now.

fosterl
Community Contributor

Is there any traction on this idea, now that Fall 2016 is well under way? I currently have enough Account Roles that it is nearly impossible to edit them between scrolling side to side and up and down. Even when I make the browser full-screen, I'm not even close to having all of the roles where I can view them.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...