Allow Possible 'Wrong Answers' in Fill in the Blank Quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I think a great feature would be allowing instructors to type in possible (or anticipated) wrong answers in the Fill in the Blank quizzes.  This would certainly benefit language classes as well as math classes, at the very least.  Any discipline with questions requiring students to provide names, dates, places or other specific information might find this useful as well.

For example, in my lower-level ESL class, I have students read two original sentences, and then they need to combine the sentences with the word 'because.'  For example, students read both "Maria is smiling." and "Maria is happy."  The correct answer the student must type is "Maria is smiling because she is happy."  However, I would love to have the ability to type a possible wrong answer, such as, "Maria is smiling because is happy."  In this case, I would provide specific feedback to this wrong answer, such as "Did you remember the subject after 'because?'"  Or, I could provide specific feedback if they wrote, "Maria is smiling because Maria is happy."  In this case, I would remind them to not repeat the proper subject but to use a subject pronoun, like she, instead.  I know multiple choice questions have this option but were I to go multiple choice, the students would not have the opportunity to produce the answer or language, which is a valuable part of the quiz.

Would this feature prove beneficial to other disciplines as well?  For example, a common, wrong response to a math problem by not following PEMDAS?  Or, perhaps responding with the name of a great historical figure or place name that often gets confused with another?

Hopefully implementing this feature wouldn't prove too laborious, and it would allow instructors more specific, immediate feedback to their students regarding their errors in Fill in the Blank quizzes.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
8 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission,  @960046315  We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

You may also be interested in this idea, as well:

cwendt
Community Champion

David, as Biray suggested, please take a look at my idea Allow partial credit for fill-in-the-blank questions

If they set it up as I've seen before, you could set up the wrong answer and leave a wrong answer ​comment​, but make the percentage zero. That way they would get the feedback, but no points.

dorratcague
Community Novice

That's probably both a better explanation and a better version of what I've asked for here - thank you, Constancia!  I just voted for yours, too. 

Thanks!  Smiley Happy

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

165633_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed