Resume Quiz From Previous Attempt Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an Instructor, I would like to allow students to resume a quiz where they left off after it as been submitted when giving them another attempt. How it currently works is that they need to be given another attempt and start over. If an instructor could choose to let them resume their previous submission from the moderate page, it would save time for the student on long quizzes. Also, it would be nice to have an option to lock previous answers; that way they cannot correct previous mistakes.

As a student, I would like to be able to resume a quiz where I left off if my instructor permits. If I got most the way done with a 100 question quiz then have some technical difficulties, it would be a time save to not have to re-take the entire exam.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16?origin_team=T028ZAGUD .

61 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight since it's very similar to yours.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

curtain
Community Participant

This is important as it provides the instructor with the flexibility to tailor the assignment to the needs of the situation and the student.  We have a lot of cases where the instructor wants students to engage in their assessments by being given another attempt with the ability to correct their answers and submit a second time to improve their score by showing they learned from the feedback and can improve their answers.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

dhulsey
Community Champion

Just last Sunday, there was a brief Canvas outage, and students in several of my classes were taking final exams during the outage. This created problems for several students, and it would have been helpful if those students had not had to completely retake the exam. Smiley Happy

curtain
Community Participant

This is not an uncommon occurance for us as well.  Not that Canvas is down but something happens that causes the students to lose their attempt and being allowed to 'pick up where they left off' is very important.

dhulsey
Community Champion

Absolutely. The problem is almost never Canvas, but problems with an ISP, wifi, untimely Windows restarts, and many other issues can interrupt students working on important quizzes. A more flexible quiz moderation tool would help instructors help students when life occurs during quizzing.

brownj
Community Explorer

I have some faculty who continue to use a third party option because Canvas does not support this feature. Adding this feature would make Canvas, even more, valuable to our teachers and our institution.

MattHanes
Community Champion

Maybe this could be added to the feature list for the Modern Quizzing Engine​?

powellj
Community Participant

I think it's important for this to be a Moderating option, rather than a type of default behavior. In our previous LMS, if a student left a quiz without submitting it, they could return and pick up where they left off. That's great for accidents such as an outage like Dallas mentioned, but terrible for preventing cheating, which is exactly what happened before. The students would open the Quiz, read/capture the questions, leave and look them all up, then come back and complete the Quiz. This was the default behavior in the previous LMS and instructors had to specifically select the "Force completion" option to prevent this.

I think the best case scenario to implement this would be to add it as an option in the Moderation, in the same location as the instructor can provide an additional attempt for one or more students. As either a sub-option or just the default behavior of this addition, they could further choose to lock those questions which were already answered.

Again, I totally understand the need for this in legitimate use-cases, but it's important to realize it opens up a huge hole for academic dishonesty.

MattHanes
Community Champion

I definitely saw this as a moderating option as well.