Update Grade & Comment at same time in Gradebook

(1)

When I update a grade + comment through the Gradebook, it requires two steps:

1. Enter grade then click on "Update Grade"
  2. Open the dialog again, then enter my comment and press "Update Comment"

Can they both update at the same time, with one button? This would be particularly helpful in courses where SpeedGrader isn't always faster - when students can submit different assignments at different times, for example.

18 Comments
cdoherty
Community Participant

I got this report from an instructor today, "When I am in "Grades" view, and am adding grades and comments for assignments: if I write a comment and then click "update grade", the comment is not submitted and only the grade is submitted. If I click "add comment", the comment is submitted but not the grade. It would be great if both were submitted at same time." This happens when clicking the Comment balloon in the Grades tool. It's odd to present a place to enter both grades and comments, but only one can be saved. It also closes the window after saving. This is really counter-intuitive.

Similar to an archived idea, Link update grade and add comment in gradebook

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

KAilsa_Rowan
Community Novice

Yes, I do actually know about this, but I constantly forget that both will not be saved. It really adds to the workload.

bbruya
Community Novice

This should be considered a bug and just be fixed instead of relying on this arcane voting procedure.  It's hard to believe that if it doesn't meet the arbitrary 100 vote threshold, it will remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.

cdoherty
Community Participant

I agree, but having those conversations with Instructure gives me a headache.

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

I agree that this is a bug.  A situation where data entered by the user is silently discarded is either a bug in the software, the design or the documentation.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

173458_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @byron_strang 

Wonderful idea for those who need to or prefer to use the Gradebook!

The feature idea process is currently on hold while it undergoes major revisions. You can learn more at Changes are closer for Canvas Community Feature Ideas.  Once the new process is in place, your idea will be evaluated by the Community Team.

You can join this Group for more information: Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space.  There is also a recently CanvasLIVE presentation that was given which explains some of the changes that are happening here in the Community: State of the Canvas Community 2017

I hope this helps,

KLM

vivian_hardgrav
Community Novice

I like this idea! It would be great to have the grade and comment in one click! What a time saver and this would also be a good reminder to make comments more regularly.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @byron_strang ‌

Thank you for this submission.  It will open for voting, March 1, 2017, as part of the relaunch of feature idea voting!  Find out more about the changes we made in Changes are here: New feature idea processes went live Friday! (2/24/17)

kas200
Community Participant

This would be fantastic! We've had many faculty who didn't realize this, which led to much frustration and wasted time.

garciah
Community Champion

Great idea! I'm all for eliminating unnecessary clicks and preventing lost work. A related issue occurs in the Speedgrader when using a rubric. Both the Submit and Save buttons need to be clicked to avoid losing work. Consider voting on this idea as well: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8399-speedgrader-rubric-comments-and-ratings 

ezaurova
Community Participant

Yes!  That has annoyed me all semester.  Thanks for proposing the idea.

tug84345
Community Explorer

yes, this would be helpful in reducing busywork for teachers.

mfm0003
Community Participant

A wonderful idea! I just had an instructor write a long and beautiful comment via the gradebook grade/comment pop-up. He then entered the grade and clicked "Update Grade." That selection completely wiped out his unsubmitted comment without warning. Combining the two update buttons into one would help avoid this for other instructors in the future.

michael_manasco
Community Novice

Yes! I am the aforementioned instructor in the previous comment, and it's very frustrating. It's clumsy and not intuitive to have two ways to submit grades/comments but essentially have them each behave differently in execution. 

Alexandre_Sch
Community Contributor
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.