Make Anonymous Grading notification in Grades section a Feature Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I can understand in certain situations it is good to know your grade was given in an anonymous setting. I can also see how that information would be useful to the student so they know there is less of a chance of grade bias (less of a chance because if I put my name on the document that can give it away). What I don't really get is why this is now a default setting in every grade view.

At my institution we have practically no faculty using anonymous grading and over the update that made that column viewable in the student grade view it has caused a lot of confusion. This should be a feature option or at the very least have a mouse over text that can pop up to help explain it. Making it a feature option would allow instructors that want to use it be there and not there for those who done.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09)

Grades

Graded Anonymously Column

The Student Grades page no longer includes the Graded Anonymously column.

11 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

136168_pastedImage_2.png

This is a great idea!  In-fact, it looks like it already exists in our community!

Please share your feedback above as a comment and also add your vote to .

Don't forget to follow and bookmark the idea to receive updates as they are available.

I am going to archive this idea as a duplicate.

hollands
Community Contributor

well this isn't exactly the same as that request. I'm specifically talking about the new column students see when they look at their grades. Right now for example in my course I have a new graded anonymously column with a bunch of no's. It just seems a bit extraneous to have that if the course isn't planning on using it.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you  @hollands ​.  We appreciate the additional information and your idea will open for voting tomorrow.

@canvas_admin ​ also found a solution that I wanted to pass on here!

I figured out how to hide it using CSS if you want to use that or pass it on to someone at your institution who can put it into CSS for you.

/*hides "Graded anonymously" header and column data so  gradebook looks like the old format*/

th.anonymous{

display: none;

}

td.anonymous{

display: none;

}

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I would also like to point out additional information about this code that  @James ​ provided here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5551#comment-30594

And Deactivated user​ provided some Javascript to accomplish the same thing here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5551#comment-30646

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

kona
Community Champion

I think the column is great for courses that utilize anonymous grading, but for courses (or Institutions) that don't it's an extra column that is confusing to students (and Instructors) and takes up valuable real estate on the Student grade page.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-12-28)

Grades

Graded Anonymously Column

The Student Grades page no longer includes the Graded Anonymously column.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @hollands  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @canvas_admin  and  @kona  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New