Fix "Wiki Pages" as a label

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Canvas is inconsistent and sometimes refers to  "Pages" as "Wiki Pages".  Since "Pages" are not really "Wiki" pages, I recommend changing the instances of "Wiki Pages", such as on the "Insert Content into the Page" panel to "Pages".  This will reduce confusion (including mine!).

Thanks,

Jim

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

21 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

In a certain sense, Canvas pages can be Wiki Pages in that they can be set so that students or even anyone with access to the classroom can edit the pages

152397_pastedImage_0.png

Learn more @How do I edit a page in my course?

I hope this helps,

klm

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea​ submission.  We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period.  It may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

macaulayl
Community Member

That feature request that got archived was mine, so I am glad to see it come back again.  It is a simple naming convention and I just don't see why this even is needing to be discussed. 

davidnas
Community Novice

Exactly, Linda!  It's absolutely ridiculous that this needs to be voted on.

Here's an idea, Canvas... just fix it!

Fact 1: There is only one kind of Page in Canvas.

Fact 2: There are at least 3 different ways this feature is labeled in Canvas.

Fact 3: That is terrible UX design and reflects poorly on your product.

Fact 4: Despite several comments from users that echo the sentiment expressed above (including the previous time this was put up for voting), nobody at Canvas has given even a single reason why it was originally done this way, much less a rationale for why it should stay as is.

Stop telling us to vote and just fix this glaring error!  The fact that it doesn't get fixed, and all we get is the same boilerplate "Thank you for your Feature Idea submission..." blah blah blah just to placate us is insulting.  Either fix it or give us a reason (other than your arbitrary 100 vote threshold) why it can't or shouldn't be fixed immediately.  Give us just one good reason why a feature would be labeled three different ways in the UI when it is always referencing the same thing.  These types of inconsistencies make it difficult for us who are trying to both train our faculty on using Canvas and manage the change on our campus.  Faculty who are asked to change systems are already hesitant... when they stumble onto things like this and we don't have a good answer for them, they get even more frustrated and quickly lose faith in the design of the product. Not only that, but subsequent challenges they run into then seem even more annoying because along the way they've had to deal with all these small, obvious issues that simply do not get fixed.  The last thing they want to hear at that point is that if they want to see it get fixed, they have to find the time to go onto the Canvas Community and vote for it... and more than likely take even more time to send a link out to all of their colleagues to get them to vote on it too if they actually want to see something done about it.

I'll say it one more time.  This type of inconsistency reflects badly on Canvas and makes our jobs as trainers and change management professionals exponentially harder.  Please fix this now!!!

dgray
Community Participant

A "me too" on this issue. Having inconsistent labels, and users wanting them to be made consistent, is not an enhancement to the product. It is fixing a flaw. Just... fix the thing!

I'm on the cusp of training dozens (or hundreds, if I'm fortunate) of faculty in using Canvas, and this one issue of the poor labeling of Pages is going to frustrate each and every one of them.

ljp1
Community Explorer

If I could vote 110 times for this, I would! I totally agree with @David Nassar on all of his points. I'm having a very frustrating experience with Canvas and its limitations; this being only one of many.

davidnas
Community Novice

So, is someone at Instructure going to address our comments?

kona
Community Champion

@davidnas , if you check out the post on How does the voting process work for feature ideas?​ you'll see that, "Each week, the Product team will take on the ten highest-voted ideas to which they haven't yet responded." This is in addition to other helpful/useful information on how voting works.

Hope this helps!

davidnas
Community Novice

Thank you for the info, Kona.  Unfortunately, that is precisely the problem since this is not a feature idea, it is pointing out a flaw/bug/error in the system that should be promptly fixed.  Heck, the mere fact that it's the users who are pointing this glaring inconsistency out to Instructure is ridiculous... their designers and engineers should have noticed and addressed this a long time ago without us having to point it out to them.  In my opinion (and it is evidently shared by others here), we should not have to vote on this in order for it to be fixed... much less should we have to vote on it merely to have Instructure address our concerns on the forum.  So, I guess I'm actually pointing out two more flaws to Instructure: 1.) That we are forced to vote in order to have something fixed (as opposed to enhanced), and 2.) That we are forced to vote merely to have our concerns addressed at all.  This entire voting/enhancement system is screwed up, and once again, diminishes our users' faith in the product and makes our jobs as trainers and change management professionals exponentially harder.  When my users ask me why Canvas is like this and why the process for getting something fixed is so screwed up... I have no way to respond positively or with encouragement.  All I can do is agree with them, and that is sad.  Instructure, you make it very difficult for me to be a cheerleader for your product when I am essentially treated as a number (of votes) instead of a person with a job to do who has legitimate concerns about your product that should be addressed.