[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wallb , I think this feature idea might be similar to what you are looking for - . If so then you might want to comment on it and follow it for any future updates.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your submission,  @wallb . We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

straussi
Community Champion

This looks valuable to both residential and synchronous courses as a time saver and streamliner.

ccronin
Community Novice

This is a great idea and I have no idea why it did not reach 100 votes the previous try.  I currently use Learning Catalytics in MyLab and Mastering to do team quizzes and they are amazing.  That program gives you the option to do a split individual and team portion on the same quiz.  I have them do the individual part at home and then the team part the next day in class on the same questions.  The discussions between students explaining their answers and coming to consensus is like crack for teachers.  I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it if Canvas could do something like this so my students didn't have to go through outside platforms.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

sara_samples
Community Novice

Frantically upvotes.  I've been upvoting this idea every time I see it -- no idea why it's not getting the love it deserves.  Does anyone know how to promote features?

mmclennan
Community Novice

I know -- I've just started another term with two quizzes that I dearly

hoped we'd be able to present as group quizzes. The workarounds are so

messy without that.

On Saturday, 27 February 2016, sara.samples@oshkosh.k12.wi.us <

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Sara:

To promote a feature you have to put on your used-car-saleman-hat. Promote it to fellow faculty members at your school, and send them the link so they can vote. If your school is part of a system, use one of the channels of communication in that system to do the same. And if you are part of any professional association, do it there.

Our college is part of a state system, and our eLearning Admins use a list-serve to share with each other. When we want to vote up a feature, we send it out to the list-server group, then if they see merit, they promote it at their individual schools.

Within the Canvas Community, find a group or groups that might be sympathetic to your request, and promote it there. I would suggest K-12​, Higher Education​, Modern Quizzing Engine​, and more.

I hope this helps.

Agent K

henry_ngo
Community Novice

Hi Michael,

Can you share with us some of the workarounds you have?  I'm thinking sections, but wanted to see if you have some other tricks up your sleeves.

Thanks!

Henry

egreen1
Community Novice

Yes, please. Group quizzes would be so useful.