Announcements visible from home page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I don't want the announcements on the home page entirely, but would like the right sidebar to show the latest announcements instead of the assignment weights.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07)

13 Comments
jbrady2
Community Champion

I think this would be a great idea.  With the implementation of the new UI, the Recent Activity feed went away and so did announcements being one of the first things student see when they log-in.  If announcement were shown on the side of the homepage in a course, then even if the student were only logging in for a second to check grades, glance at information for an assignment, or perhaps to read announcements, then they would not have to go far.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I upvoted--but just to be clear, this feature idea is asking for announcements to be listed instead of assignment weights if the Syllabus page is used as the course home page, yes? As far as I know, that's the only way assignment weights would appear on the course home page.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

...because if this FI is not specific to the Syllabus page, here's a nifty interim workaround: Announcements Widget for Home Page

vallathn
Community Member
Author

Stefanie, that is what I meant -- for announcements to be listed instead of assignment weights if the Syllabus page is used as the course home page.

shane_dehorney
Community Member

I didn't realize this was recommending to remove the assignments weights from the Syllabus. I was looking to vote for an announcements 'icon' or 'count' on the homepage similar to upcoming assignments, but not the entire announcement. I don't think removing the assignment weights is a good idea.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

182603_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

nathan-swailes
Community Novice

It sounds like some people here are looking to have some kind of widget created that displays the most recent announcement(s) on a custom created home page? Some of the workarounds, like the one mentioned her by stefaniesanders​  (Announcements Widget for Home Page ) and another using RSS feeds in that thread work for some users but not for others. It would be great to have a home page announcement feed feature that works for everyone. If you are still interested in being able to display important or most recent announcements on the first page your students see when they open your course (the home page) then I encourage you to vote up this widget:  @vallathn ​  @shane_dehorney ​

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-12-19)

Discuss this new feature, and others, in the Beta Release (2016-12-19) Collaborative Chat

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07)