External Apps (LTI):  Ability for Admins to hide some available tools

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I'm proposing that admins have the ability to hide tools that are not supported by the institution in the list of available external tools, and only show those that are supported/subscribed to by the institution.

Right now, instructors have the ability to pick and install from the entire catalog of external tools.  This is a very large list of tools that continues to grow, and it's overwhelming.  This leads to confusion and questions from faculty about what they are, or duplication of other tools that we perhaps subscribe to or do not support (for example, we do not use Adobe Connect or BB Collaborate, so we would want to hide those tools so that faculty don't get confused by these choices and know to only use WebEx.  There are also several proctoring options, and we only use one of them.  Some of these tools also require subscriptions for an additional cost.

164444_2016-02-02_9-46-28.png2016-02-02_9-46-28.png

This would improve the faculty experience by allowing them to find the supported tools more quickly, save time for admins/support at institutions, and save time for Canvas support who probably gets a bunch of questions from faculty about what these tools are.

Thanks for your support!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

9 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

@millerjm 

Thank you for submitting this well written and consider feature idea.  This idea is actually open for vote currently here, but it will close tomorrow and currently has seven votes so I am going to go ahead and add this submission to the queue for tomorrow's cohort.

Thanks,

Scott

millerjm
Community Champion

@scottdennis ​, I brought up all the feature ideas with LTI via the search but that one didn't come up.  Thanks for finding that one for me.  Smiley Happy

millerjm
Community Champion

gordon​, I've submitted a similar idea to yours, " modifiedtitle="true" title="Admin Control of the Apps from within the LMS since yours didn't get the votes it needed. I'm including the text of your previous feature idea here so that it stays together.  Smiley Happy

As one of many Admins for the county,  we would like to see the White-listing of the Apps  be handled from within the Settings for the LMS.  Going to an external Website requires that we create another generic email account.  If one of us  creates it with our login credentials and leaves the district then the others cannot get in to fix the accounts without giving away our login and password.  Also I would only hope that in the future when an App is created that it is not automatically added to the global list within the Canvas platform.  We , the school district, needs to determine what we will support in our schools and what will or will not be payed for.  We had a request for information on how to work with an app only to find over 200 apps for the teachers to be dabling in when we have no idea how they work or if they meet restrictions for age groups etc.
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-04-11)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @millerjm  for submitting this idea. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed