HTML Editor for Global Announcements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I am resurrecting my Feature Idea I originally submitted in early April 2015 with some slight modifications and additions.  The original idea was posted here: HTML Editor for Global Announcements Posted to the Dashboard.

From time to time, we use the Administrative Pages of Canvas to create global announcements (via Settings >> Announcements tab) that get posted to the Dashboard.  Our announcements could include things like links to Canvas Guides, other websites, and/or videos (ex: YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).  It would be nice if we had access to edit HTML in these announcements.  However, after chatting with Canvas technical support (Ticket #1455096), one of the main reasons for not having the HTML editor is:

It looks like the HTML mode is intentionally missing from the Global Announcements tab due to administrators using them in such a way that it causes problems in their settings tabs of their accounts. The guides in fact show the Global Announcements without HTML editor mode.

Jesse Poulos -- Canvas Tech Support

Use case: Paste in embed code from various website to display content for our faculty in an announcement on the Dashboard.

Slight addition: Based on the feedback from Jesse Poulos, what if the ability to create Global Announcements was moved to its own button on the left side admin navigation rather than a tab within the admin Settings screen?  Would that fix the issue and allow for HTML to be editable?

17 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Follow Canvas Studio: Global Announcements for information on the changes coming to the RCE in global announcements.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is under consideration in the Canvas Studio: Global Announcements​ project.  For information and updates, please follow and bookmark the project document

hmcnally
Community Novice

Especially now that Global Announcements are editable (wow, that took too long to implement), it would be very useful to edit in the RCE as well as the HTML editor... just like you can in most places in Canvas that offer the RCE.  I would really like to embed a video, or other kind of IFRAME based content, in an occasional announcement.

bwaters
Community Novice

Yes, please add the HTML editor to global Announcements.I'm surprised it's not there already.

crystal_trotter
Community Novice

I agree that the use of the HTML editor in global announcements would be a huge help! We often create instructional or informational video that would be helpful to embed in global announcements as opposed to linking them. Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Now that this Idea and it looks like https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2514-html-editor-for-global-announcements-posted-to-the-dashbo... have both been reopened should they be combined to help prevent commenting/discussion/voting from being lost?

holmer
Community Participant

Any updates on this? Seems silly that this is the only RCE on Canvas that purposefully does not have HTML editor. 

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

I wanted to add another reason to support this idea.  One of our campus-based institutions that uses Canvas would like to create global announcements for campus student events.  They have nice glossy poster images that they would like to link to - and have them appear as a pop-up window if the student clicks.  We know we can link to the image, but then it downloads rather than opening (anywhere) and has to be opened in an image tool.  We would love to be able to create richer announcements - without taking up too much of the valuable dashboard screen space.

bbennett2
Community Champion

Agreed with everything above.

I was playing with a workaround in our test instance and discovered embedded media are also stripped out, so the RTE is limited in some strange ways compared to the rest of the site.