Scroll bar tone

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As someone with eyesight issues (hard to see low contrast settings), it is VERY difficult to see the scroll bar in certain areas of Canvas.

A light gray scroll bar on a white background might as well not be there.

I am facilitating a training course designed by our Instructional Designers and when I looked at the assignment, I did not realize there was more information I needed to grade properly as it was only accessible after scrolling down. Since I did not see the scroll bar, I thought the assignment was completed.

A darker toned gray or even black scroll bar would be much preferable against a white background.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was identified as an accessibility issue and was never opened for voting.

For more information on the updated feature, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

12 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

I strongly support any feature requests to improve the accessibility of Canvas. Contrast ratios remain a huge issue in Canvas, and in many areas. Love Canvas, but I wish it was designed to be more inclusive so that even more folks could share the love!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I also agree with  @kmeeusen ​.   @robert_hume ​, do you have your "High Contrast UI" setting turned on within your Canvas profile?  This can be accessed by clicking on your name and then "Settings".  Scroll down to the bottom of the screen where you'll see this...which you can toggle on/off:

HighContrastUI.jpg

tdw
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @robert_hume ​,

I've just heard from the Instructure accessibility team that they're going to look into this!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@robert_hume ​

Thank you so much for your idea submission.  Because we have identified this as an accessibility issue we are not going to move it forward for vote.  I am going to archive it for now.  It is in our queue for correction.  We will update this thread as we have more information.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

That is great news, Danny!

Thanks for the heads-up!

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

This idea was identified as an accessibility issue and was never opened for voting.

For more information on the updated feature, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-03-21)

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Too cool - Canvas responsiveness in action!

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information on the updated feature, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to fotostuf for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmeeusen ​,  @Chris_Hofer ​, &  @tdw  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New